My landlord is demanding access to the property

My landlord is demanding access to my house. I read the lease contract and it says it is "Tenant's obligation to permit landlord and / or his agent to enter into the property at all reasonable time by prior appointment and giving 24 hours notice".

I have given the landlord alternative times for the access which do not work for him. Now he seems to want to enter my house no matter what by saying it is my contractual obligation to allow him to do so.

Does he has this right to enter the house? If we do not let him in, what could be the consequence to us?

Please please help. My family is quite stressed over this! Thanks a lot!

Thanks sawheating. The link refers to an entry by landlord without giving notice to tenants.

In my case, the landlord gave us notice to enter the house two weeks ago. I told him the times he suggested does not work for us, and I provided him with alternative times. However, my suggested time does not work for him. So now he is saying he will come in no matter what based on the contractual arrangement....

Please can he really do that without our consent? Thanks a lot!

Thanks sawheating. The link refers to an entry by landlord without giving notice to tenants.

In my case, the landlord gave us notice to enter the house two weeks ago. I told him the times he suggested does not work for us, and I provided him with alternative times. However, my suggested time does not work for him. So now he is saying he will come in no matter what based on the contractual arrangement....

Why not get a witness present and allow him to enter-perhaps you have something to hide?

Look at your tennancy agreement, most short term tennancies have this written in and is usually a formality, but they do have a right to enter if you can't agree a time I think I am right in thinking they can enter property if they give you a time even if you are not present. In my experience they only spend 2 mins inside anyway and probably only want to check you are not growing cannabis or something if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to be worried about.

Has he explained why he wants access? How long have you lived there. You have not explained much , other than he wants access, and i doubt he would request it without a legit reason, e.g. he has to allow a plumber to service / check the boiler etc.

Personally, i would just tell him to do what he has to do, even if i wasnt at home and make sure the mrs has a tidy up !!! < that was a little joke >

Some landlords do a 6 month check on their property. It is to see if you are looking after the property and to make sure you are not having people living there who should not be there, pets if they are not allowed and you are not doing anything illegal (cannabis farm).

Cannibis farming is happening a lot and can destroy a house, I have seen it.

So if you nothing to hide and are a good tenant let him in. It only takes minutes if everything is in order. If you don't of course (by force) then it will be unlikely that they will re-new your contract.

he has your consent - you signed the agremeent

According the a program on the radio the other day, he has to give 24hrs notice in writing, and you can say no.

Might be different if it's for a inspection that is in the contract or something, but under normal conditions you don't have to let him in

Whats the problem tho? Why are you getting stressed about it? Why does the landlord want to enter the property and why don't you want him to?

Archived