Apparently it's who you know,..

Hi Sheffield! So, I am posting for the first time here to ask for some advice.

I really am interested in a career in upholstery, but I can't seem to get started!

I'm 30- so over the hill as far as apprenticeships are concerned!

I work full time in retail, but I don't want to get stuck in a rut forever. I am of course glad to have a job, but it isn't want I'd like to do forever.

Can anyone advise how I can get started in upholstery. I don't really know anyone in Sheffield who I can get advice from.

Maybe someone would let me work for 1 day a week for them to get started?..

Hi Sheffield! So, I am posting for the first time here to ask for some advice.

I really am interested in a career in upholstery, but I can't seem to get started!

I'm 30- so over the hill as far as apprenticeships are concerned!

I work full time in retail, but I don't want to get stuck in a rut forever. I am of course glad to have a job, but it isn't want I'd like to do forever.

Can anyone advise how I can get started in upholstery. I don't really know anyone in Sheffield who I can get advice from.

Maybe someone would let me work for 1 day a week for them to get started?..

Have you contacted any re-upholstering firms in Sheff? Google brings up plenty.

Have you contacted any re-upholstering firms in Sheff? Google brings up plenty.

Exactly!

Why don't you Google a list of upholsterers in Sheffield, make a note of the addresses and go pay them a visit?

Go smart and presentable, take a copy of your CV with you and any relevant experience that you've had. You don't have to go ask them for a job - just for advice. Ask questions like,

"How does one develop a career in upholstery?"

"Are there any courses that are run that would be helpful?"

"If you were looking to employ an upholstererer what qualifications or experience would impress you?"

Another thought, if you are working in retail, does that involve furniture? If not, could you transfer to a retail role that involves furniture? That would be moving in the right direction.

I think whatever job or career you are looking to do remember that

1 It's never too late

and

2 Employers like people who show initiative

Over to you!

Exactly!

Why don't you Google a list of upholsterers in Sheffield, make a note of the addresses and go pay them a visit?

Go smart and presentable, take a copy of your CV with you and any relevant experience that you've had. You don't have to go ask them for a job - just for advice. Ask questions like,

"How does one develop a career in upholstery?"

"Are there any courses that are run that would be helpful?"

"If you were looking to employ an upholstererer what qualifications or experience would impress you?"

Another thought, if you are working in retail, does that involve furniture? If not, could you transfer to a retail role that involves furniture? That would be moving in the right direction.

I think whatever job or career you are looking to do remember that

1 It's never too late

and

2 Employers like people who show initiative

Over to you!

This exactly. It really is never too late. Good luck

I've just seen this advertised at my work...

Upholstery courses

The unique seat company is offering upholstery courses suitable for beginners who have no previous experience of traditional upholstery and who are looking for a new and rewarding hobby.

• 8 week evening course - £245

• 2 day weekday course - £195

• 2 day weekend course - £295

Intermediate courses will be available from mid 2013

Contact details:

http://www.theuniqueseatcompany.co.uk

enquiries@theuniqueseatcompany.co.uk

0800 1216210

Thanks you lot, it's really encouraging to get advice and feedback.

When I emailed the Apprenticeships Gov people, they sent me a email back saying that if I had a job, why am I trying to get into upholstery? and it doesn't pay well anyway. (which I was surprised to get such a negative response from the people meant to help).

I did do a 2 day course in traditional upholstery at The Unique seat co. in November- which was great, it cost a fair bit, but it didn't exactly give me enough skills to go it alone, that's why I feel I'd rather work for someone to gain experience with guidance.

DerbyTups advice is great,... but I'd feel such a prat if I went to a company and they were dismissive. I have emailed a few companies in Sheffield, just to see if they could advise, but they never even respond :(

Hence the 'it's who you know' tag... and I don't know no one. (yes, double neg. I know).

have emailed a few companies in Sheffield, just to see if they could advise, but they never even respond :(

Unfortunately if somebody emailed me asking advise on how to set up a rival company i'd probably ignore them as well.

I'd guess you'll need to offer to work for free 1 day per week to get somebody's attention who will then go 'out of there way' to help and mentor/train you.

Archived