Advice needed conserning suspected sex offender

It's been posted on Facebook that a sex offender is living in a council property in our area infact the house is in throwing distance from a school and I'm trying to find out if in fact he is a sex offender and what we can as a community do about it as it has caused uproar on Facebook ... Ha anyone else had this problem or know of what steps we can take to keep our kids safe ?

Nothing has happened to them yet ! No but as a conserved parent would like to know if am living round corner from someone that has been in prison for sex attacks on young girls ... Wouldn't u ... I'm just trying to find out if there's any steps I can go through to find out if this is true cos surely they wouldn't rehouse the man in middle of a council estate full of kids if he is and there's a witch hunt starting ... I would rather find out the truth and go trough the proper channels that's all

---------- Post added 01-03-2013 at 11:28 ----------

Sorry if I wrote it wrong but they get put on a sex offenders register don't they that's why I quoted sex offender !! I'm after advice not a telling off thanks

This kind of thing happens frequently on FB, along with shared pictures of supposed letters warning of strawberry flavoured coke or some other drug, when they're not even from this country, or claims hackers are cloning your FB identity in order to post negative comments on your behalf (yeah, that's going to bring in LOADS of money isn't it?)

If its on FB its fairly certain it's lies.

Even this forum isn't immune. There was a thead about a sex offender driving a gold car round Arbourthorne. The OP claimed it was first hand information but it turned out to be a chinese whisper rumour.

You gotta love Facebook!

The sex offender register is not just confined to paedophiles.

Was there not a case a few years ago where locals hounded out a man from his home believing him to be a paedophile when he was actually a paediatrician!

Do yourself a favour and stay off Facebook.

No one is going to give you the details of the location/names of any offenders and if they did, what could you do about it.

Well iv actually found a newspaper clipping of the man about him being sent to prison for four years for sex attacks on girls .. It was in the sun newspaper in 2007 so it is actually true so what exactly can we do about it ... I'm not happy about him being just around the corner and neither is half the community so this time the post on Facebook is actually true so now what we just supposedly forget about it n get on with it worrying about our kids every time they step out the door ??