Freshest fish in Sheffield?

Where can be gotten the freshest fish in Sheffield? Can any fishmongers on here advise how old your average bit of cod or haddock is when it arrives at the fishmongers (not previously frozen). If these boats are out for a few days at a time, some of the fish must be a week or so old before its made its way to the shops :confused:

I'd love to eat some 'caught that day' cod or haddock. Thanks

When I lived on the coast most fishmongers were closed by 11.30am. Thats why it stinks in the fish market in Sheffield, its been out too long. If its Icelandic Cod or Haddock I would imagine it'll be frozen on board unless its line caught!

When I lived on the coast most fishmongers were closed by 11.30am. Thats why it stinks in the fish market in Sheffield, its been out too long. If its Icelandic Cod or Haddock I would imagine it'll be frozen on board unless its line caught!

Why would it being line caught make a difference to whether it's frozen on board or not?

:)

Why would it being line caught make a difference to whether it's frozen on board or not?

:)

If it is line caught, it'll be a small boat off the east coast and usually haddock or

catfish (woof). The big trawlers tend to freeze on board! I only know all this as a friend of mine is crew on a fishing boat out of Bridlington.

if you go to the food market at castle market its pretty damn fresh and great value and you can even get live crabs and lobsters etc

Thanks but I heard that fresh fish doesnt have a bad fishy smell, and to be honest Castle fish market stinks!

---------- Post added 04-02-2013 at 12:43 ----------

why not get together with a few mates and go on a boat for a days sea fishing from one of the east coast resorts.

ewww no I couldnt do that. I'd be scared!:hihi: I dont like boats and who knows what beasts lurk in the depths that you might pull out :gag:

---------- Post added 04-02-2013 at 12:44 ----------

If it is line caught, it'll be a small boat off the east coast and usually haddock or

catfish (woof). The big trawlers tend to freeze on board! I only know all this as a friend of mine is crew on a fishing boat out of Bridlington.

Ahh I see. How long does your friend go out for at a time?

Thanks but I heard that fresh fish doesnt have a bad fishy smell, and to be honest Castle fish market stinks!

Because it is days old after leaving the dockside. It has a 70 mile journey from Grimsby. The stall holders in the Castle Fish Market, don't throw it all away at the end of the days trading, its put in ice and brought out the next day. A proper fishmonger doesn't carry a lot of stock as its all sold on the day. Supermarket fish always looks dry and the fishes eyes aren't bright, thats another sign that its old. I'd always buy frozen fish if buying around these parts. At least you know its fresh when its frozen.

Because it is days old after leaving the dockside. It has a 70 mile journey from Grimsby. The stall holders in the Castle Fish Market, don't throw it all away at the end of the days trading, its put in ice and brought out the next day. A proper fishmonger doesn't carry a lot of stock as its all sold on the day. Supermarket fish always looks dry and the fishes eyes aren't bright, thats another sign that its old. I'd always buy frozen fish if buying around these parts. At least you know its fresh when its frozen.

True but it doesnt have the same texture.. its a bit spongy. If you squeeze it all the juices flow out and its lost its pearly white translucence

Archived