Did you work at Abrose Shardlow’s?

:) Hello to all of you who have posted on this forum.

My Father in Law and his friend worked at Shardlows during the 70's.

His name is Brian Whiteley who worked in the forge making crankshafts, and his friend was Bill Davies who worked in the machine shop.

Brian is unfortunately quite ill, and Bill (Billy) died some years ago.

If anyone remembers either Brian or Bill or both of them, itwould be great to hear from you, and I'll pass on any messages to Brian.

Ta,

Diverdave.

Does anyone remember Harry Preece, my father? He worked at Shardlow's for many years. He died in 1981.

Hi All,

:help:

Does anyone remember working with Clifford,Ross or Grenville Whitelam? I'm also looking for information relating to Robert Smith who I think worked there around 1969.......

Any photos from that time would be greatly appreciated!!

I just wonder if anyone you know who worked at Shardlows has ever been diagnosed with mesothelioma, an asbestos cancer?

My dad, Roger Headley, worked at Shardlows from 1970 to 2008. Four weeks ago he was diagnosed with mesothelioma. We need to trace people he worked with to find out if he was exposed to asbestos while working at Shardlows. Even if you didn't know him, you may know of any asbestos incidents in the past?

We would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks, Joanne (his daughter)

I think my late Dad worked here in the fifties - Charlie Spencer. He was a drop stamper I believe but left to pursue a sales career.

MY ex father- inlaw worked there Les Curr he was a great guy sadly died to soon

My Dad, Tom Smith worked at Shardlows from 1946 till he died in 1961. He worked in the machine shop as a crank balancer. Used to love the sports day on the sports ground on Grange Lane every year.

I just wonder if anyone you know who worked at Shardlows has ever been diagnosed with mesothelioma, an asbestos cancer?

My dad, Roger Headley, worked at Shardlows from 1970 to 2008. Four weeks ago he was diagnosed with mesothelioma. We need to trace people he worked with to find out if he was exposed to asbestos while working at Shardlows. Even if you didn't know him, you may know of any asbestos incidents in the past?

We would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks, Joanne (his daughter)

bifrangi fined for burying asbestos under the tarmac roadway on site.The H.S.E prosecuted and i think it was reported in the star

Edited by smiffty

A lot of demolition has taken place on Shardlows site and many other flattened steelworks around Sheffield, a lot of asbestos was used in these places and if it had all been removed safely I would think that they would be still stripping it now.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Firm-is-fined-for-asbestos.990880.jp

:mad:

Edited by shaunfl
grammar

Asbestos lung cancer normally stays dormant in your body for up to 20/30 years before you see any symptoms. So even though he actually worked on the building when it was being demolished its too soon for this to be the cause.

If anyone can think of any incidents or any maintenance work that happened years ago in the joiners, mechanics or oil store (which all had asbestos roofs) then that would be really appreciated.

Thanks again,

Jo

Jo, It's true that asbestos lies dormant for many years, but some of these old firms were being demolished late 70s, early 80s, the one I worked for certainly was, I think this would have been the case at Shardlows and other surrounding companies.

Also the large warehouse fire in the Brightside area during the 80s, they had men in white suits collecting material that had blown over that direction. What were they collecting ?

The problem is we all have possibly been in contact with asbestos at some time, due to the decline of steel industry etc. in the locality.

Hi, My Grandad used to work at Shardlows. I remember he was still there mid eighties although I can't remember when he left (took early retirement).

His name is Cyril Blakey. I'm told his nickname was "bubbles" apparantly due to his curly hair!!!

I know that a man called Malcom Peacock also worked there at the same time. (I used to work with Malcom when he was in his 60's)

I'm trying to find anyone that remembers my grandad as he loves to talk about the "good old days" and its nice for me to be able to feel part of this with him. If anyone wants to admit they knew him please let me know your name!