Did you work at Abrose Shardlow’s?

peterw

My husband still works there although its now Bifrangi, owned by Italians, before them it was UEF. Not the same as the old Shardlows where the men although working hard could have a laugh and joke (not allowed now)!!! Although the old Shardlows sense of humour still exists!

They are still fighting to regain their pensions which have all but been lost! So any thoughts of early retirement have gone through the window.

• 1 year later...

We lived on Shirehall road and my Dad, Victor Dewsnap (RIP) was a crankshaft inspector at Shardlows. very fond memories of him waiting for me under the clock at 3.30pm. My brother-in-law Trevor Richards organised/ran some part of wages dept, and (not RIP).

My dad organised/ran the "packers fund" for the lads there. anyone remember what the packers fund was? think it was a savings club.

Hi PeterW

My father Fred work there all his life, later in the tool room, does it ring a bell? He was very easy to remember, he had a stiff right leg.

Remember him talking about The Shop Foreman Harding Charley Cooling,Joe White were other names I remember.

When I was about twelve he took me down to The Canteen for Boxing lessons and had fun at the annual sports day at the sports ground.

In the summer I would walk down Fife St. and meet him coming out of work and we would ride the bus back up home and I can still smell the Salt Cut on his coveralls.... Happy Days

Regards Ted wood

We lived on Shirehall road and my Dad, Victor Dewsnap (RIP) was a crankshaft inspector at Shardlows. very fond memories of him waiting for me under the clock at 3.30pm. My brother-in-law Trevor Richards organised/ran some part of wages dept, and (not RIP).

My dad organised/ran the "packers fund" for the lads there. anyone remember what the packers fund was? think it was a savings club.

Through my father in law (Jack Firth) I knew Trevor Richards and his brother, we used to meet in Bellhouse Road Club around 1960 - 64 My wife ( Christine Firth) worked with Trevor and Marion Dewsnap at Arthur Lees before Trevor went to work at Shardlows.

Spoke with Trevor and Marian over this and your father-in-laws clock number was 172 in case you are interested.

There is some other link (not on this site) happening about Shardlows as Trevor thought it was the same as that one.

Is there anyone still alive today who worked at Ambrose Shardlow”s during the war. I worked there for a while, but my grandfather, Billie Wood, worked there most of his life, starting when the original workshop was in Attercliffe and old Ambrose Shardlow only had one lathe and one grinder. My grandfather was a time-served turner. When I worked there, he was about the only one left, and he could turn out a crankshaft from a single block of steel. At that time, Shardlow’s had the biggest single machine shop in the world, producing crankshafts for practically every vehicle on the road. I’ve read in ex-pats that someone believed they produced parts for the Spitfire, but not in my day they didn’t!

They also produced metric micrometers. Since we worked in feet and inches I could never see the point. I simply accepted that they probably sold them abroad to metric countries. When I was there the machine shop was under the management of a Mr Harding and Abrose Shardlow was still alive and well, and visited most days. Most of their machines came from Cincinatti in the United States. We had a first-class canteen, and at least once during the war I recall it being the venue for a radio programme, Workers’ Playtime, which was always announced on radio as coming from ’Somewhere in Britain’.

The company also produced its own crankshaft forgings. I know it’s still there because I occasionally pass it on the M1. Do they still make crankshafts? I note that the forge has gone, but at least the machine shop is still there. The company is at Wincobank near J.H. Lee, a firm which, coincidentally, was adjacent to Shardlows when the company first started in Attercliffe.

My best mates dad worked at shardlows, i think he was a big union man, Rex Davies, very nice guy.

Spoke with Trevor and Marian over this and your father-in-laws clock number was 172 in case you are interested.

There is some other link (not on this site) happening about Shardlows as Trevor thought it was the same as that one.

I would like to know what the link is - regards to Trevor and Marian it must be 45 years since we last met