Did you work at Abrose Shardlow’s?

peterw

My mother worked in the machine shop at Ambrose Shardlows in the early sixties. Her name is Meg Watson and she is now living in Tewkesbury Gloucestershire at the age of 84. I have in my possesion a 0" - 1" imperial micrometer that came out of Shardlows M/c shop , how mother came by it is still a mystery to me !!!

• 1 month later...

For David Price,

Only just read your reply so sorry for the delay. Are you in touch with Trevor or Marian at all. The reason i ask is that when i spoke to them about this on the Forum they seem to have information about people researching Shardlows etc.

I will ask them and get back to you over the weekend. We are in Canada at the moment but normally live in Bulgaria but am seeing them soon.

I am Marians sister by the way.

My Dad worked at Shardlows for many years. up until 1981. He was called Joseph Marsden and was a Turner. Did anyone know him. I remember him metioning a few names - Rex Davies, Albert Hilson.

I once met a guy who lived on, I think Great Park Road at Thorpe Hesley, who used to work at Shardlows and was keeping a record of all the workers, ones still alive and those who had passed away. If he is not on the forum, he would be a great source of info for all.

• 1 month later...
My best mates dad worked at shardlows, i think he was a big union man, Rex Davies, very nice guy.

Although I never worked there, I had many good mates from the engineering union at Shardlows in the 1970s and Rex Davies was one of them. A truly top bloke and I am so sorry to hear of his passing. RIP Rex.

Among the others (the few names that I can remember) were Walt Moore, Roy Makin, Mick Shepherd, Joe Ball, Brian Cooper and the one that anyone who worked there in the 1970s would remember, my best mate at the time, Cyril Morton. Anyone remember them and have any comments about them. If so, I would love to hear from you.