Improper use of emergency lights

Saw a police car yesterday at the end of the parkway heading into town.

I was coming off derek dooley way and he was heading from my left, the traffic was slow then all of a sudden his lights (but no siren) went on and when hed got through the red light and thick traffic the blue lights went off again.

As i set off i could see him almost at the roundabout, again traffic was slow and again his lights (no siren) went on and again when he got through the lights and traffic the blue lights went off again.

As i got to the train station to pick up my friend i commented on this and he said "yes, he did the same thing at the two sets of lights before the station and the one after".

So i got home and made a formal complaint as i believe the police officer was using the lights improperly and just to get through the traffic. My friend thought the same thing too so took down his reg plate in case he decided to make a complaint.

If it turns out he was abusing his position then i hope he is sacked and loses his pension.

I was coming off derek dooley way and he was heading from my left, the traffic was slow then all of a sudden his lights (but no siren) went on and when hed got through the red light and thick traffic the blue lights went off again.

As i set off i could see him almost at the roundabout, again traffic was slow and again his lights (no siren) went on and again when he got through the lights and traffic the blue lights went off again.

As i got to the train station to pick up my friend i commented on this and he said "yes, he did the same thing at the two sets of lights before the station and the one after".

So i got home and made a formal complaint as i believe the police officer was using the lights improperly and just to get through the traffic. My friend thought the same thing too so took down his reg plate in case he decided to make a complaint.

If it turns out he was abusing his position then i hope he is sacked and loses his pension.

Well played. You know nothing of why he's putting on his lights but see fit to try and make said plod lose his job and pension.

You should seek counselling for your hatred of the police.

I assume they will simply investigate the OP's pointless complaint find it fits into one of the following and simply tell them the matter is closed.

How does the OP not know that the car in question was not:-

responding to an emergency

wanting to let people know they are there

wanting to let people know that there is a hazard on the road

Good look trying to evidence that allegation.

Well played. You know nothing of why he's putting on his lights but see fit to try and make said plod lose his job and pension.

The OP did right. He saw what appeared to be an officer 'abusing' his stature.

If the officer was dealing with an emergency situation and was in the right to do as he did then the officer will be cleared of all wrong doing by the investigation into the complaint.

If he wasn't responding to an emergency situation then he'll be asked to explain his actions. If that explanation is not sufficient then the officer will be disciplined in accordance to procedure.

I assume they will simply investigate the OP's pointless complaint find it fits into one of the following and simply tell them the matter is closed.

How does the OP not know that the car in question was not:-

responding to an emergency - The OP won't, but the control room logs will

wanting to let people know they are there - For what reason other than the above would an officer need to use his lights and ignore traffic signals

wanting to let people know that there is a hazard on the road - If there was a hazard in the road, why did the officer continue on his journey?

Good look trying to evidence that allegation.

Could have been a 'silent approach'.

I doubt that.

But if it was then he has nothing to worry about.

From where i was sitting he was abusing his position. If he wasnt then like i say, nothing to worry about.

---------- Post added 13-01-2013 at 00:33 ----------

Well played.

Thank you.

You know nothing of why he's putting on his lights .

To me it looked like he was mearly using them to get through the heavy traffic.

Why else would he turn them off when he got through said traffic and the red lights?

---------- Post added 13-01-2013 at 00:34 ----------

You should seek counselling for your hatred of the police.

I dont hate the police.

I respect the hard working ones who do a dangerous job for crap money.

Its the ones who abuse their position im not too keen on.

---------- Post added 13-01-2013 at 00:35 ----------

The OP did right. He saw what appeared to be an officer 'abusing' his stature.

If the officer was dealing with an emergency situation and was in the right to do as he did then the officer will be cleared of all wrong doing by the investigation into the complaint.

If he wasn't responding to an emergency situation then he'll be asked to explain his actions. If that explanation is not sufficient then the officer will be disciplined in accordance to procedure.

I doubt that.

But if it was then he has nothing to worry about.

From where i was sitting he was abusing his position. If he wasnt then like i say, nothing to worry about.

---------- Post added 13-01-2013 at 00:33 ----------

Thank you.

To me it looked like he was mearly using them to get through the heavy traffic.

Why else would he turn them off when he got through said traffic and the red lights?

---------- Post added 13-01-2013 at 00:34 ----------

I dont hate the police.

I respect the hard working ones who do a dangerous job for crap money.

Its the ones who abuse their position im not too keen on.

---------- Post added 13-01-2013 at 00:35 ----------

In a bizarre turn of fate, I too was at the beginning of the parkway, heading out of town this morning. There was, in the outside lane, an obstruction (it looked like a bucket full of rubbish in the outside lane). Perhaps he was warning other motorists - it was a hazard after all.

That said, if in doubt, get someone sacked.