Old Vicarage Restaurant Ridgeway - Still the best in Sheffield?

Gone4good

It's a long time since I've eaten at the Old Vicarage but it was such a lacklustre affair that we've not been back. The overall impression was of being served by your great aunt in her parlour in the 1980s. The food was very good but somehow not quite star quality. The wine list was as good you would expect. The experience may be different today, but I couldn't even tell you if they have their star any more.

Fischers on the other hand never disappoints, but of course it is not in Sheffield.

None of the above answers your OP but it's the closest so far :-)

Edited by Tony

having eaten in both the old vicargae&fischers as well as a few of gordon ramseys restaurants i find fischers to be very good,the old vicarage seems to be too full of itself&they were trying to push the expensive wine at you although the food is good.

As one persons best restaurant may not be the same as anothers is I suppose the best way to describe it, is as the highest rated restaurant in Sheffield in both The Good Food guide and The Michelin guide.

My best restaurant in Sheffield at the moment is Gusto but that's my personal choice

It's a long time since I've eaten at the Old Vicarage but it was such a lacklustre affair that we've not been back. The overall impression was of being served by your great aunt in her parlour in the 1980s. The food was very good but somehow not quite star quality. The wine list was as good you would expect. The experience may be different today, but I couldn't even tell you if they have their star any more.

Fischers on the other hand never disappoints, but of course it is not in Sheffield.

None of the above answers your OP but it's the closest so far :-)

Thanks. I agree with your opinion. I'd put Fischers over The Old Vicarage too.

As one persons best restaurant may not be the same as anothers is I suppose the best way to describe it, is as the highest rated restaurant in Sheffield in both The Good Food guide and The Michelin guide.

My best restaurant in Sheffield at the moment is Gusto but that's my personal choice

I think Gusto is a lovely little place but the food is only average.

"I've never eaten in a fine restaurant but feel qualified to offer the opinion that restaurant B sounds better than restaurant A.

Thanks. That's really helpful.

Why do you feel the need to put me down because I haven't eaten in The Old Vicarage or Fischers?

I didn't say I'd never eaten in a 'fine restaurant'. I ate at La Becasse in September.

---------- Post added 13-01-2013 at 00:31 ----------

Thanks. I agree with your opinion. I'd put Fischers over The Old Vicarage too.

Thanks for agreeing with me :)

Edited by Nagel

I have eaten in the old vicarage about 2 years ago at that time it was good food

but,then so was rafters and artisan and the greenhouse garden at chapletown.

The only one with bad vibes was the vicarage mainly due to the hovering great aunt who clearly did'nt like it when I voiced my opinion that the food was not bad.

Baslow seems to be the place for good eateries, had a lovely meal at the Devonshire arms there last night they have the chef Thomas Samworth formerly of Rowley's and the schoolrooms, amazing food and great decor, the stars review of it is here http://www.thestar.co.uk/lifestyle/features/food-review-devonshire-arms-nether-end-baslow-de45-1sr-tel-01246-582-551-1-5293495 well worth a visit if your in the area

I ate at the Old Vicarage a couple of years ago. I haven't eaten at Fischers but I've eaten at a handful of fine dining restaurants over the years in Paris, London (The Dome, Wild Honey) as well as closer to home. The Old Vicarage was by a distance the best dining experience, incredible food, attention to detail, balance of flavours as well as excellent wine advice.

The owner is a sommelier, hence she will try to advise on wine but she offers excellent advice, the wine was exceptional. Not cheap, for me a meal like that is perhaps a once a year treat rather than a monthly one!