Don Valley Stadium to close?

jemson

I'd be interested in the answer to this as well. Does the council still owe money to whoever built it or owns the land maybe? A bit like PFI?

No, nothing like PFI, it's just old fashioned debt signed up to by the Labour councillors.

They keep refinancing WSG debt, turning £13m of facilities repaid 20 years after the event into £50m of demolition sites repaid 25 years after demolition. Maybe.

Impressive eh?

The Council should be hanging their heads in shame for building it in the first place with no thought to what use it would be after the Student games. It's closing because hardly anybody uses it.

i agree to a point but demolishing it to me is radical surely as i say labour always pull a fast one on the public of sheffield i feel they will pay for this if it happens

Guest makapaka

It's a disgrace, regardless of the councils decision.

Olympic legacy ?? I hope all the Londoners enjoy their shiny new facilities while the training ground of an Olympic gold medal winner is torn down.

Why it is not used might come down to who is managing it. What is the incentive? If it is a private concern, then the owners will promote it hard so they can turn a profit. If it is up to someone in the council, booking events just creates more work for them. If it really does have potential, it should be sold off to a management company who might be interested in trying to make it pay. If it is already managed by a private company or nobody is interested in taking it on without a subsidy, then it has no future and needs to be closed promptly and the land reclaimed for something else.

*Edit* In addition, politicians who propose projects like this for their own glory should be publicly censured.

Edited by Gone4good

Should just give/lease it to the private sector. Put it out to tender like happened to the Olympic stadium.

The public sector, especially economically hapless Labour politicians, just don't have the competence to manage things on this scale.

---------- Post added 12-01-2013 at 08:48 ----------

Anyone else wondering if, like Sheffield airport before it, this is being sabotaged on purpose.

Future site for the HS2 station anyone?

Sheffield city council to pull Don Valley Stadium down....the city Administrations of David Blunkett 1980 to 86 and Clive Betts 1986 to 92 both worked to bring the 1991 World Student Games to Sheffield .....the debt the city incurred to stage the games amounted to £658 million which will not be paid off until 2024.The Labour controlling group on Sheffield city council lied to the people the way they always have lied to the people that outside investment was paying for the games and the event would not prove to be a financial burden to the city.22 years on and guess what sheffield city council have declared their intent to pull don valley stadium down the place where our Olympic heptathlon champion Jessica Ennis was discovered and still the place where she trains,the venue that has seen the Rolling Stones play live in the city 3 times.Typical Labour eh build something like the multi story tower blocks then pull em down.Personally was against the world student games coming to Sheffield as i feared the financial consequences for the city but having build Don Valley don't allow them to tear it down.Simple Fact is the current financial difficulties were created by Labour in the first place and their only answer to the problem they themselves created in this city is to knock an athletics stadium down.Labour cannot be trusted with the economy and the Torys cannot be trusted with the welfare of the people.