Compulsory litter picking outside your own house.

I live next to a ginnel, would that make me responsible for picking up all the rubbish people leave down there.

because they leave loads of it.

I would say some responsibility lies with the take-away.By putting bins outside they may feel they have done their bit;however were it not for these shops there would be far less litter.Ultimately many people are too lazy to cook and then compound their indolence by littering the streets.

My elderly dad went outside to be welcomed by a half eaten chip butty sat on his lawn this weekend. This happens regularly since their house sits 5 mins walk from two takeaways. He finds it very distressing. On the odd occasion he has confronted somebody chucking rubbish into his garden, rather than being met with a sheepish apology it is nearly always foul language.

Whilst the responsibility for litter is the morons who chuck it, it would be nice if the takeaways could spend ten mins each day collecting litter which obviously originated from their premises.

Well yeah, obviously thats the ideal solution, but as it is people do litter, and so should we just leave it there??

Perhaps those people never walk out the front of their house, but drive off their driveways instead. Or perhaps they find the idea of picking up litter that other people have dropped unpleasant.

Either way, it's up to them, it's certainly not their responsibility and a law to make it such would be ridiculous.

My elderly dad went outside to be welcomed by a half eaten chip butty sat on his lawn this weekend. This happens regularly since their house sits 5 mins walk from two takeaways. He finds it very distressing. On the odd occasion he has confronted somebody chucking rubbish into his garden, rather than being met with a sheepish apology it is nearly always foul language.

Whilst the responsibility for litter is the morons who chuck it, it would be nice if the takeaways could spend ten mins each day collecting litter which obviously originated from their premises.

Perhaps the food should be returned to the shops.?

The fact that the OP asks whether a law is necessary to get people to tidy up their immediate environs says it all.

I regularly am the Martian who clears rubbish from the grass verges in both directions from my house. I don't seek praise or any reward - when I've walked to and from the local shops I'm irritated enough by the litter to do something about it. So, on go the gloves, out come a few plastic bags and twenty minutes later I feel I've achieved something I.e. I haven't just shaken my head and had a moan about others' preparedness to dump stuff that they should have taken home.

"Martian" 'cos only a few others seem prepared to do the same.

Many years ago I sat on a very sunny, warm beach at Blackpool, marvelling at how the British beach could be enjoyed with the right weather. After an hour or so, I took a more detailed look at my surroundings and realised that I was sat in a rubbish tip. I fantasised that someone from Radio One turned up with loud-hailers (Radio 1 road shows, as a concept, shows my age, I guess). All it would take, I fantasised, would be a celebrity or three offering a goodie-bag to anyone who had taken a black bag from them and tidied up the area immediately around them for the beach to be a lot cleaner in less than an hour.

Why wait for a celebrity or HRH before things get tidied?

Edited by DT Ralge

Perhaps those people never walk out the front of their house, but drive off their driveways instead. Or perhaps they find the idea of picking up litter that other people have dropped unpleasant.

Either way, it's up to them, it's certainly not their responsibility and a law to make it such would be ridiculous.

Unless you're elderly or disabled in some way, or live right next to some busy shops or a pub etc, by not picking up the litter in your immidiate environment you are as bad as the person that dropped it there quite frankly.

Unless you're elderly or disabled in some way, or live right next to some busy shops or a pub etc, by not picking up the litter in your immidiate environment you are as bad as the person that dropped it there quite frankly.

Are you advocating fines for those who ignore litter?

The phrase 'lead balloon' springs to mind.

What next, prison sentences for victims of burglary?

Are you advocating fines for those who ignore litter?

If its deemed excessive and there for a prolonged period of time then yes, fines could be a possibilty.

---------- Post added 02-01-2013 at 22:39 ----------

The phrase 'lead balloon' springs to mind.

What next, prison sentences for victims of burglary?

As far as I'm concerned litter at the font of my house that has been dropped there by god knows who, becomes my responsibilty to pick it up; noone else is going to pick it up if I dont.

There are deep grass verges in front of my home and I noticed recently that they are covered in faces from a rather large dog. Same shape and colour. There are probably 20 plus turds out there. I am going to wait until we get some frost and then stack them high.

I also live on a 'takeaway to council estate' direct route, so there is always debris to collect.

I completely disagree, we aren't responsible for the behaviour of others and you've no idea how long some litter has been in situ or why it hasn't been picked up.

You're effectively saying that the victims of littering are responsible for cleaning it up.

I completely disagree, we aren't responsible for the behaviour of others and you've no idea how long some litter has been in situ or why it hasn't been picked up.

You're effectively saying that the victims of littering are responsible for cleaning it up.

The guy cannot be serious and a response gives unwarranted recognition.