NYC cop buys boots for homeless man, photo goes viral

A couple of years ago a radio announcer was stopped by a homeless man in traffic, he handed the man some money , then in conversation the announcer like the mans soft silky voice, he offered him a job at the station, the man took the job made more money than he'd ever had for a few weeks work, then disappeared and was back on the street in no time drugged up, his Mom said my poor sons always had a few problems.:roll: Can't help them all.

A couple of years ago a radio announcer was stopped by a homeless man in traffic, he handed the man some money , then in conversation the announcer like the mans soft silky voice, he offered him a job at the station, the man took the job made more money than he'd ever had for a few weeks work, then disappeared and was back on the street in no time drugged up, his Mom said my poor sons always had a few problems.:roll: Can't help them all.

Those kind of people remind me of that old Glen Campbell song "Gentle on my mind" Whacky as it is they just prefer to live the way they do.

You got that story wrong and you're talking about Ted Williams (aka the man with the golden voice)

He was sober when discovered on the streets of Ohio, found shelter and work thanks to the publicity, then he relapsed (which happens with all addicts) due to the attention and not being able to deal with the sudden pressure. He was in and out of rehab for a while but still clean and sober for over a year now. He does voice over work for Kraft and the Cleveland Cavs.

Wonderul story, and a nice smack in the mouth for all the anti-authority geeks.

Also a "nice smack in the mouth" for the copper with the following who probably didn't think about the "ongoing contribution" when he donated the boots. Your limp wristed attempt at previously trying to big up the copper at the expense of the "anti authority geeks" as a dig was obvious from the outset, and predictable. I'm surprised you didn't take the cop to task for wasting police time and his own hard earned cash.

What, I wonder, might his ongoing contribution to society be? It's hard to come up with anything above 'none', in which case what's the point in saving him?

He didn't save him, he bought him some boots.

You got that story wrong and you're talking about Ted Williams (aka the man with the golden voice)

He was sober when discovered on the streets of Ohio, found shelter and work thanks to the publicity, then he relapsed (which happens with all addicts) due to the attention and not being able to deal with the sudden pressure. He was in and out of rehab for a while but still clean and sober for over a year now. He does voice over work for Kraft and the Cleveland Cavs.

Thanks for the right story, apparently I heard wrong , your story makes more sense, and I like it better Anyhow :)

If he was given boots and sold them off - one can speculate for booze or drugs - then he would indeed be the 'undeserving poor'.

What, I wonder, might his ongoing contribution to society be? It's hard to come up with anything above 'none', in which case what's the point in saving him?

The next stage in your reasoning would be to evaluate someones worth to society and to question his right to exist............

The next step would be to deny his right to exist..............

Its been done already, the perpetrators were executed at Nuremburg.

If he was given boots and sold them off - one can speculate for booze or drugs - then he would indeed be the 'undeserving poor'.

I'd almost forgotten what a cynical, self centred, arrogant and misanthropic wretch you are. Then I saw this.

Never judge a man until you have worn his shoes and walked about in them.

Those kind of people remind me of that old Glen Campbell song "Gentle on my mind" Whacky as it is they just prefer to live the way they do.

There was a homeless couple who used to hang out on a certain corner begging for money. My children were concerned for them and insisted we bring them some food. We bought deli sandwiches and some fruit from a nearby store and gave it to them.

A couple hours later, we returned home the same way and the kids were disappointed to see the bag of food sitting at their feet...totally untouched. I explained that they probably weren't hungry and just wanted the money for alcohol or drugs.

Turns out the NYC homeless guy wasn't really homeless.

Nice story,but its surprising it got into the news,acts of generosity are happening all the time,but bad news gets the all the publicity usually.

The story has made it because it's a 'seasonal' story, I time of goodwill and giving etc.