Where's the best place to buy a real Christmas Tree?

Careful buying from B&Q. Their prices are cheap but that's because they're not very good trees. Think it's best to go somewhere where you can look at the trees out of their bags. We get ours from Tree Amigos outside Morrisons because they have loads on display and they'll happily get more out of their bags if you want to see a wider selection. They're a local business too so we feel better buying off them than a big chain.

Got my last three trees from B&Q, never had a problem with them. We had last years up well into February. Also, you can take then out of the bags to look at them if you like, we always have and the staff. Picked up ours for this year yesterday (7ft Nordmann Fir £45).

Top tip: Saw off the bottom inch of the trunk when you get your tree home and keep the stand topped up with water.

jb

Edited by barleycorn

For the last couple of years we've used http://www.goodelf.co.uk the trees have always been in excellent condition & shape, and as they are delivered to your door you don't have to struggle getting them to fit in the car.

We always get ours from Birley Moor Garden Centre, they're all on display outside and aren't netted until you've chosen one.

I like the idea of going to Longshaw and picking out a rooted one though. My wife brought a pathetic 3ft tall one home from Asda around 6 years ago, I planted it in the back garden after christmas and it's now over 8ft tall!

Longshaw estate are good. There are also two really nice garden centres near coal Aston on a rural road, forgotten the name. Good for decorations too.

High Riggs,Stannington-pick your own from the field-up past the Crown and Glove.

My shop has been selling Christmas tree's for over 30 years. We now only stock a premium grade Nordman (non-drop). We are a small family run independent Greengrocers and have based our trade on good reputation. We buy in approximately 300 Christmas tree's every year which for such a small shop is a very very large amount. We sell so many as we have a lot of repeat customers.

We have a lot of tree's already un-netted for customers to look at and are always happy to open more. We also have a netting machine to re-net it so you can manage it easier.

We have earned our reputation through selling quality tree's not cheap tree's. in all honesty you will probably find us around about £5 dearer than places such as B&Q etc. I've always believed that if you can get a mediocre tree at £35, why not spend the extra fiver and buy a premium grade tree? When you're looking at a cheap nasty tree in your living room you aren't thinking about that £5 you saved.

We are based at the top of Twentywell Lane in Bradway (S17 4QH). Just look for the sign (and the hundreds of trees!)

8224069248_52b4f7008a_b.jpg

Another vote for the bloke on Sharrowvale Road. Bang opposite Hickmott Road (the road that runs from Nonnas on Ecclesall Road to Sharrowvale Road), adjacent to Mann's Fishmongers and the Mediterranean Restaurant.

Very well priced, and of decent quality.

I have been passed today and he wasn't there, but it is still November!

i always get a real tree from Horsfields Nursery in Silkstone as they grow their own so they are fresh and not netted to you can choose the exact shape you like. They have always lasted way after to Christmas. Before finding horsfields I bought trees from else where and they always dried out before Christmas as they had probably been chopped weeks in advance and shipped in from Sweeden. Horsfields also grown pot grown trees which you can use each year rather than having to buy a new one each year,

i always get a real tree from Horsfields Nursery in Silkstone as they grow their own so they are fresh and not netted to you can choose the exact shape you like. They have always lasted way after to Christmas. Before finding horsfields I bought trees from else where and they always dried out before Christmas as they had probably been chopped weeks in advance and shipped in from Sweeden. Horsfields also grown pot grown trees which you can use each year rather than having to buy a new one each year,

All cut trees dry out and should be kept moist as long as possible before taking into the house. Some retailers buy them from Scandinavia and it's possible they'll have been stored and shipped in dry conditions for at least a few days in transit, possibly weeks. Some will have been cut in October.

British sourced trees are usually kept in the open and this year that should mean they'll keep fresher than usual! The trunk of all cut trees will dry out after cutting. It's best to cut off that drier 2 or 3 inches before putting in a pot that should have sufficient water to keep the base wet at all times. Some trees can 'drink' a litre or more of water a day, depending on size and room temperature.

I was leading a guided walk at Longshaw yesterday and saw customers with vans taking 12 foot high trees for inside use. How they get them into houses puzzled me - I thought they'd be for outdoors at that size! They'll take some watering, and decorating. Apparently there may be a shortage of larger trees at present, but there appeared to be plenty available. Quite a few of their best rooted trees have been reserved by customers, to be dug up or cut nearer Xmas.