The Comet in administration thread

I think you may find that the 'loss-makers' in Comet weren't the washing machines. - When Comet stuck to selling mass-produced goods which had a long product life cycle (like washing machines) they were successful. When they (like some other retailers) bought masses of hi-tech units with a short PLC, they found that they couldn't shift them quickly enough.

Marketers don't just 'do lunch' and a number of major firms (it seems) didn't bother to talk to their marketers. They bought what the senior execs wanted to buy and ignored the people who knew what the customers wanted to buy.

Me and G/F went into Comet on Tuesday last week an she bought and paid for a washing machine. She asked for it to be delivered on Saturday. Tuesday night she heard that Comet was going into receivership and started panicking. It was made worse by the fact that when she tried contacting them, it was impossible ... 'Due to many callers, we are unable to ...' (phone goes dead)

Saturday morning, phone rings at half eight 'Can we deliver your machine right now please?'

Ten minutes later, two very friendly and polite Comet delivery guys cart the new washing machine up three flights of stairs, fit it, check it works and take the old one away. I asked them about what was going on with Comet and they said they expected to lose their jobs in the next few days ... they'd got 29 deliveries on that day and expected to be working 'til 9 ... they only get paid 'til 7. Not one word of complaint though!

The point I'm trying to make is, that although Comet may be getting some stick for things at the mo, on a personal level, you've got to feel sorry for some of the truly hard working members of their workforce. Christmas just round the corner and everything ...

Well said and although most people will feel sympathy with the staff who will probably lose their jobs as always some will take out their frustration on them.

When I worked at Currys it was drilled into us that the cables were worth the money,they also just happened to be huge margin drivers too.....

The huge pressure to sell them and other add ons was one of the things I liked least about the company.