Sheffield Breweries all getting together

We seem to have a good number of small independent brewers. Do other cities have them or are we quite unique?

I think it's fair to say we possibly have more than most other cities and Sheffield is a really good place to find real ale, or "craft ale" as it is now being called. (Probably to distinguish it from the fake real ale that the brewery chains are supporting).

We do have some good micro breweries here but I don't think many of them are outstanding.

I don't think Kelham have produced anything in recent years that has matched "Pale Rider" - and Pale Rider was a beacon at the time - but even that has been overtaken by superior beers from other breweries.

Bradfield, I think, is probably the pick of the bunch. The "Sixer" and seasonal "Belgian Blue" are very good - and most of their others are "good".

I've not been over-impressed by some of the other Sheffield breweries so far - I'm familiar with Abbeydale, Blue Bee, Sheffield Brewing Co. and Crown - but here's a chance for me to prove myself wrong maybe?

For the record, I think Buxton Brewery is the best "local" brewery for miles around. They do a really innovative range of beers - all styles and strengths.

Edited by DerbyTup

I think it's fair to say we possibly have more than most other cities and Sheffield is a really good place to find real ale, or "craft ale" as it is now being called. (Probably to distinguish it from the fake real ale that the brewery chains are supporting).

We do have some good micro breweries here but I don't think many of them are outstanding.

I don't think Kelham have produced anything in recent years that has matched "Pale Rider" - and Pale Rider was a beacon at the time - but even that has been overtaken by superior beers from other breweries.

Bradfield, I think, is probably the pick of the bunch. The "Sixer" and seasonal "Belgian Blue" are very good - and most of their others are "good".

I've not been over-impressed by some of the other Sheffield breweries so far - I'm familiar with Abbeydale, Blue Bee, Sheffield Brewing Co. and Crown - but here's a chance for me to prove myself wrong maybe?

For the record, I think Buxton Brewery is the best "local" brewery for miles around. They do a really innovative range of beers - all styles and strengths.

Can't disagree with any of that really. I think my favorite regionally - at the moment! - is Summer Wine or Acorn. I really enjoy Acorn's American style beers they've been producing recently. My favorite brewer nationally has to be Brewdog, their bar in Nottingham is glorious. Probably the brewer who is doing most to push new styles and innovations.

I think 'craft beer' as a term is gaining popularity because it encompasses the full range of 'non-industrial' beers (not a completely satisfactory term, as the likes of Sierra Nevada produce craft beer on an industrial scale), whereas the phrase 'real ale' was introduced by CAMRA and has a very precise definition which, it's argued, doesn't allow for some of the really adventurous and wonderful beers now being produced which don't happen to be served from the cask.

Unfortunately it's become a bit of a controversial point in recent times. Ultimately, you have to ask yourself 'does this beer taste good?'. If the answer's yes, don't worry what it's called! :)

I`d agree with the point that Sheffield has a good number of breweries but not many `outstanding`. Personally I like Abbeydale bUt probably prefer the good Steel City ones. I like Little Ale Cart too, Wood Street not bad and Brew Co are getting better IMO. Locally I`d say that SWB and Magic Rock are a step ahead.

I had a very nice OMP by Acorn at `spoons in Woodseats but still no wiser about how to vote! :huh:

Anyone know if Sheffield breweries Blanco Blond is still on tap down at the Gardners.

Anyone know if Sheffield breweries Blanco Blond is still on tap down at the Gardners.

permanent fixture afaik...

hi sheff beer! i wondered if you could advise. my friend is wheat intolerant (nb not gluten intolerant) - she normally drinks lagers that she knows have no wheat in (like carling!) but not necessarily because she wants to. are there any sheffield ales that are definitely wheat free? or are most of them? i mostly drink beer rather than learn about it so am confessedly ignorant.

look forward to supping shortly in the food fair.

I'm not sure if any Sheffield beers are wheat free to be honest. I know that Hambletons do a bottled Gluten and wheat free ale and lager but I've never seen it on draft. It can be ordered from their website and I do happen to know that the Millstone in Hathersage sells it bottled, or at least it used to.

My favorite brewer nationally has to be Brewdog,

+1, Particularly fond of their Punk IPA, and finding it regularly stocked in both morrisons and tesco's is a weekly shop highlight :)

Yes morrisons is quite good in that it usually semms 5am Saint as well, one of the finest beers ever made in my humble opinion.

Like Punk and Trashy Blonde but not sold on 5am Saint

Like Punk and Trashy Blonde but not sold on 5am Saint

5AM Saint was a lot better when they still produced it on cask. It's nothing like as good on keg.

To be honest I've hardly touched Brewdog beers this year. Like a lot of people I have a few issues with their marketing and the way they do business, but ultimately I find their draft beers over-priced and I'd rather buy bottled beer from a good off-licence. That means I consistently pass over Brewdog's wares in the big Tesco in Chesterfield to stock up on Buxton and Marble beers in the Beer Parlour down the road.

There's a lot of IPA and blonde ales on there, it needs more malty ales.

Pale and hoppy beers are what sell at the moment, hence lots of pale and hoppy beers.