General Post Office, Fitzalan Square- its future?

Dan

Well said- look at the state of Fitzalan Square while we look like approving a betting shop close to the Peace Gardens.

WB

One idea for the old Town Hall would be a museum for Sheffield Castle as its near by also could be a museum of law all under one roof. The Post Office is to far away from the Castle site but part of it would make a good museum of the postal history. Perhaps the rest could be offices or small retail units or an hotel.This would give Sheffield a museum quater with the bus and train station near by there would be plenty of foot traffic. But this could only be done after the Market was removed and the area around the Post Office smarted up and buses given new routes perhaps.

One of the mutterings I have heard around that it is to be some kind of training facility co-hosted by SHU and some type of academy. It was some while ago though and I am not so sure of the details

The heart of the city was nothing compared to what we have to do down the Markets area.

One of the mutterings I have heard around that it is to be some kind of training facility co-hosted by SHU and some type of academy. It was some while ago though and I am not so sure of the details

Yes I heard that as well. But seems to have died off as an idea. At the start of this year the big back gates were open and men in suits were looking around the site then left leaving a man to close the gates I spoke to this guy about the building was any plans for the building I asked? He told me they were thinking of turning it all into office space.

good idea to pull the bugger down we could do with another office block in the city centre. to go with the other empty ones,whats the point in pouring money into that building and why didn't they think about what they would do with it once empty. or they could fit it out with lots of cubicles and make dozens of small bedrooms for homeless and those with with nowhere to sleep at night give it to the sally ann let them have it shure they could use it as a soup kitchen

Probably nothing until the market is demolished and the area gentrified.

There's no point doing anything nice to it while it's the heart of poundshop and pawnbroker land.

As far as I know its still in limbo. Hen and Chickens struggling on across from it. The quicker the Castle Market comes down the better so we can tackle the problems in what is the archaelogically sensitive part of the city.

Phase 3

Other development in Castlegate such as the redevelopment of the BHS

building and the reuse of the Old Courthouse are likely to be dependent

on the new character created for the area which is intrinsically linked to the

redevelopment of the market. If the market is moved in 2009, these other

developments may come on stream 2007 - 2011.

As if !!!!

One idea for the old Town Hall would be a museum for Sheffield Castle as its near by also could be a museum of law all under one roof. The Post Office is to far away from the Castle site but part of it would make a good museum of the postal history. Perhaps the rest could be offices or small retail units or an hotel.This would give Sheffield a museum quater with the bus and train station near by there would be plenty of foot traffic. But this could only be done after the Market was removed and the area around the Post Office smarted up and buses given new routes perhaps.

I think the Post Office would be ideal as an independent boutique-y place - a bit like the Corn Exchange in Leeds. The Queen Victoria building in Sydney is a bit similar (though bigger).

Pedestrianising Fitzalan Square and sending buses round the back near where the Bingo hall is would be a great idea. It could be turned into a nice European style square with cafes and resturants etc.

Edited by Dan_Ashcroft

Just a query here but does anyone know what's happening to the old Town hall ? It seems to have been mothballed for years. I reckon it would be brilliant if it could be opened as a museum but I suppose the money spent on that would make it not worthwhile.

I agree, but the first thing that should happen is to remove the bus stops that are ajacent to it, at the moment the building is used as a litter bin and a grafitti wall by passengers waiting for a bus.

There was water coming into that place way back in 2009 when I first went in.

Sadly its very common.

Probably nothing until the market is demolished and the area gentrified.

There's no point doing anything nice to it while it's the heart of pound shop and pawnbroker land.

There are more Pound shop and pawnbroker type establishments on the Moor where they are moving the Market to.