The Closed Shop (Walkley) - under new ownership

If you read my post again you'll see I was all for having some decent real ales different lagers on and I never said I was sick of places selling quality beer, but that I was sick of people going on about real ale.

People take it to the extreme, I've seen loads of posts on here which immediately write off new pubs on the basis that they don't sell real ale, or don't sell the right amount / type real ale etc.

I know there wasn't the same extent of negativity on this post but the insinuation was immediately there, as to whether the number / type of real ales they would be selling was adequate etc.

What's the point of going to pubs that don't sell real ale of the right type and amount?

What's the point of going to pubs that don't sell real ale of the right type and amount?

I think you're deliberately taking that out of context.

Do you think *the* most important thing about a pub is the number of real ales on draft?

Some people do - especially those who enjoy a good OCD ticking off of ales they haven't sampled and aren't too bothered about the social aspects of pubs. But the majority of people think there are many other factors to a good pub beside the number of beers available

Do you think *the* most important thing about a pub is the number of real ales on draft?

Some people do - especially those who enjoy a good OCD ticking off of ales they haven't sampled and aren't too bothered about the social aspects of pubs. But the majority of people think there are many other factors to a good pub beside the number of beers available

Got to agree with you - in fact I'm not altogether sure "tickers" and similar are that bothered with quality - which seems to be largely based on the number of handpumps. IMHO it's hard to get enough turnover to keep more than half a dozen beers on top form all the time. In the "exhibition" pubs you invariably get more beer thats been sat in the lines for a while.

Anyway - back to the Closed Shop - was in again last night for a quick one and will probably be again tonight for a couple before the ten yard walk to the Hallamshire. Off to a very promising start -a few old faces coming back. Prices seem pretty reasonable as well.

For me, I 'judge' pubs based on beer, pub, service in that order of priority. Harlequin and Shakespeare keep doing well for me on that basis. Cross Scythes and Sheaf View are winners too.

God - so fed up of the real ale police with pubs these days.

It's a pub - not a fine dining restaurant.

By all means get some real ale on there and some decent lagers hopefully but every pub that opens doesn't have to have umpteen different taps of whatever ale.

It makes me laugh with camra etc cos they're all for keeping pubs open (which is great) but always on the basis that it sells a perfectly brewed/stored/chilled/warmed pint of (insert random beer name).

Well if you want McDonalds and Subways and Greggs you'll find loads of outlets in Sheffield. But that doesn't mean we should have to put up with garbage. We have great pubs, national champions in fact, that sell huge ranges of top quality beer, so we expect quality not dross. There is no reason for dross when quality already exists....and if you look at the pubs that go under compared to the pubs that are thriving you'll see a common theme.

I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Guest makapaka
Well if you want McDonalds and Subways and Greggs you'll find loads of outlets in Sheffield. But that doesn't mean we should have to put up with garbage. We have great pubs, national champions in fact, that sell huge ranges of top quality beer, so we expect quality not dross. There is no reason for dross when quality already exists....and if you look at the pubs that go under compared to the pubs that are thriving you'll see a common theme.

Usual arrogance, "we expect etc" - who put you in charge?

A nice hobby that kills a lot of pubs.

Usual arrogance, "we expect etc" - who put you in charge?

A nice hobby that kills a lot of pubs.

We beer geeks aren't in charge in the slightest, but we do spend money in pubs! Good beer isn't the only criteria for a good pub, but at the end of the day I don't visit pubs to drink rubbish.

As to the Closed Shop? Went in yesterday afternoon. It was OK but very quiet. I then proceeded across the road to the Hallamshire House which if I'm honest was better all round, and stayed there to watch the rugby. My only gripe being the Thornbridge Imperial Oatmeal Stout. £4.80 a half for an overly alcoholic mess of a beer.

Edited by Stoatwobbler

For me, I 'judge' pubs based on beer, pub, service in that order of priority. Harlequin and Shakespeare keep doing well for me on that basis. Cross Scythes and Sheaf View are winners too.

Beers, Value for money and service are my prioritys , thats why i call the Sheaf View my local, yet live 13 mile away :|

I avoid the "Tap" and most Thornbridge pubs for the same reasons.

Why pay £3 for John Smiths smooth when you can buy local brewed real ale for £2.10?

I popped in on Fri eve for a quick one after looking forward to the reopening.

I had high hopes that it would give the Hallamshire a run for its money and introduce a bit of competition to the ever growing Thornbridge empire.

Unfortunately we left disappointed. I went for a pint of Tetleys Mild and was distinctly underwhelmed by the quality. I drank about a quarter of it before we decided to head over the road to the Hallamshire, where you at least know you will get a decent pint (even if it is Thornbridge). My mate had something different and wasn't overly impressed either.

I should have taken it back, but couldn't be bothered with the hassle and didn't really fancy much else they had on either (usually if the Tetleys is ropey, you can expect Marstons will be too).

I'm not chuffed they are getting Blue Bee in either. Its not a range of beers I get excited over. And Hoegarden too. That won't get me out of the Hallamshire if I fancy a wheat beer. Erdinger or Paulaner would.

It was lousy beer that prompted me to withdraw my custom from the Closed Shop and on first impressions this has not improved much. I think if they are to stand a chance they need to up their game on the beer front to compete with or outshine the Hallamshire.

A plus point was the price. £2.50 a pint was a good price. Although, possibly not that good if you don't drink it!

I do hope they sort it though. As I said, it will be great for the Hallamshire to have a bit of competition. I'm looking forward to the introduction of food there too. I do like the food at the Rutland so that may prompt me back in to give it another try.

Edited by simon55
forgot to add a point