How do you deal with someone that only wants to talk about themselves?

So basically when you ask them a question they have the nerve to answer it, kids uh!

gud day mate ,ar ya goin

let me explain in more detail cobber ,one question doesn't credit a 15 minute reply of self absorbed wombat droppings .

now I know that might be classed as a deep and meaning full conversation in most parts of oz between you and sheep, but fair dinkum cobb its different in the real world.......struth mate:huh:

I don't know how to deal with people like this without being rude, its so irritating. The only way I think is to not have personal conversations while they're around.

The type that really get me are those that labour over one point in the story that has no bearing on the outcome like 'I was telling my mum on Tuesday, no wait, was it Wednesday, I think it might have been Wednesday because I'd been out to the supermarket and I normally go on a Thursday but I remember that week I didn't because my nan was ill' ARGH makes me want to scream :)

You must have met my mother-in-law at some time :)

On the one hand the small talk keeps us sane, but too much of it drives us nuts!

Everyone has a different way of communicating.

I know peiple who ask a lot of questions to get someone talking about themselvess, and are very skiLled about getting people to reveal things about themselves.

I know people who communicate solely by gossiping.

I know people who throw in topics of conversation and offer opinions on either side to keep the conversation going.

I know people the throw in topics and stand back to watch the conversation or debate grow without adding anything more to it- because creating cause for conflict is fun for them.

I know people who talk about themselves because they are full of theoir own arrogant self-worth.

I know people who talk about themselves because no one has ever bothered to spend the time to get to know them and they are trying to connect.

I know peoiple who top other people's stories becasue that is the way they try to relate to people.

Everyone is different.

You can brush them off and ignore them, or you can pay attention$ maybe you'll learn something. Maybe you'll make a friend. Maybe you'll make someone feel that they ARE worthy.

gud day mate ,ar ya goin

let me explain in more detail cobber ,one question doesn't credit a 15 minute reply of self absorbed wombat droppings .

now I know that might be classed as a deep and meaning full conversation in most parts of oz between you and sheep, but fair dinkum cobb its different in the real world.......struth mate:huh:

Can you say pathetic, small minded racist ****wit?

Simple.

Stop watching The Apprentice!

I work with a person very similar..

This person does have a few different ailments which they make a point of telling us about every day..

They're a nightmare if anyone else at work is ill..

If one of us says "Oh so and so is off sick today because of blah blah blah", the first words out of their mouth aren't "Oh I hope they're feeling well soon", the first words they mutter are "well what about me? I still come to work with this wrong with me, that wrong with me", etc etc.. They cannot bear to think of anyone but themselves getting any kind of sympathy for being ill.. It's like they are the only one who is allowed to be ill!

I tend to turn away and try and ignore it when they go off on one, but they never seem to take the hint..:rant:

Can you say pathetic, small minded racist ****wit?

you could say that but you'll put yourself offside with half of australia :hihi: