Bathroom Megathread. Advice & recommendations - no quotes/advertising

Two classic trolls rearing their heads on this thread, one is new to me the other one is serial and has hijacked reputable threads before and got chased off. Dan has said it all for me, I agree 100% with his last thread.

80% of my work comes off here and as I am booked up till Oct, i don't need to defend my reputation, working practices or standards.

Why on earth are you bothering to make this contribution?

I'm planning to have my bathroom redone this summer (I already have someone to do it so I don't need recommendations for that) and I'm hoping for some suggestions for where would be the best place to buy the suite and tiles from, either in Sheffield or online. I've looked online and in places like B&Q/Homebase etc and it seems to be quite a lot cheaper to buy online, but there are hundreds of sites to choose from and I don't know how reliable the quality of the suites will be when you can't see them in advance. Can anyone recommend a particular website they've used that has good quality suites?

DONT buy from B&Q or Wickes as the quality is very poor.

As for where to buy from, its very much a case of who offers the style/type of suite you want. I've found from experience that on-line suppliers can be problematic should there be items missing or damaged.

From looking online, it looks like there are hundreds of websites that all offer extremely similar things, you could spend hours going through them all and at the end of the day, one rectangular bath is much like another! I'm not so picky about the style of my bathroom suite that I have to have one specific one, I'd rather have an idea of reliable companies that sell good quality stuff at a reasonable price and then choose something I like from their selection. The less time I've got to spend thinking about bathroom furniture, the better :)

We were pleased with our suite from The Bathstore. Can also recommend Dan (post 2) for fitting.

We were pleased with our suite from The Bathstore. Can also recommend Dan (post 2) for fitting.

Thanks.

As we have no idea of your budget its difficult to point you in the right direction.

Bath Store is very good quality and the service you receive is second to none. Look out for sales (their a bit like DFS for them!!).

I'm not at all extravagant and not particularly fussy about what the new suite looks like as long as it's practical, so my budget is basically to keep it as cheap as possible, but I'd rather spend a bit more and get something good quality than end up with something cheap and nasty. I know that's a bit vague - based on what I've looked at already I'd probably be aiming to spend no more than about £500 on the full suite, hopefully less than that if possible.

hi i second dan2802 is a spot on plumber ta jeff

The op has already said they have someone to fit so I'm only posting to help with the supply aspect. At £500 or less your looking at a good quality 'contact' suite.

I'd recommend going to the local plumbers merchants and seeing if the have any clearance branded suite or check out the range. It will be far better quality than the 'sheds' with good customer service should there be any problems.

Seems quite easy to me.

Get some recommendations, get some quotes. You will start to get an idea of how much the job is worth. DONT think you know better than a tradesman when it comes to quoting. You don't.

If you are shocked by prices, then simply don't have the work done. You can't afford it.

I'm honestly shocked by the prices of some vans. Which is why I don't drive a brand new one. I could scream all day, but it wouldn't make them any more affordable.

Lastly....and here's the killer! The BIG SECRET!.....Agree EVERYTHING before the job starts....and if you are not happy, or have sub standard work, or have lots of un warranted mess.....point these things out to the builder....and maybe even DONT PAY until you ARE happy!!

You'll be surprised though. Most tradesmen actually WANT TO DO A GOOD JOB. It's just these scaremonger programmes that paint a distorted picture.

There. Thats all there is to it.

That does sound like it could be a good deal, I'll have a look.

Thanks everyone for your advice & suggestions, you're all very helpful!