Bathroom Megathread. Advice & recommendations - no quotes/advertising

This is a wind up, yeah?

£350 a rip off for install, LOL. :hihi:

There is plenty of work out there for skilled tradesmen, we just don't need to be throwing bathrooms in for a couple of hundred quid, there are plenty of people out there willing to do that, leave it to them.

I haven't got a clue what that means.

I do know Rogue Traders etc isn't fiction. Tradesmen, just like used car salesmen and double glazing firms are a bunch of low life lying scum who price a job according to how much they think they can get out of each household.The more vulnerable the better. Old dears no problem. Single mothers no problem. All to be taken to the cleaners. Hence, no standard quote anywhere in the entire industry. Name a single trade where you can quote a single example of: a door fitting costs 'x'; a sink 'y'; remove a fireplace 'z'.

It doesn't exist and yet every woman knows the price of a cosmetic op. A dentist the price of a filling, a lawyer the cost of conveyancing, or an architect the cost of plans.

They are professional. Set fees in place. You can phone up and ask. Answer received 'it costs 'x'. But why is the 'trade' mantra is ' Have to see it.' It's a bloody door needs hanging!

'Well it could need hinges or have handles, worse it could open inwards. Inwards eh, Harry? Yeah. Need to have alook'.

Sharp intake of breath and a double figure sum.

Now who's having a wind up?

Fact.

Edited by Owethemnowt

I do know Rogue Traders etc isn't fiction. Tradesmen, just like used car salesmen and double glazing firms are a bunch of low life lying scum who price a job according to how much they think they can get out of each household.The more vulnerable the better. Old dears no problem. Single mothers no problem. All to be taken to the cleaners. Hence, no standard quote anywhere in the entire industry. Name a single trade where you can quote a single example of: a door fitting costs 'x'; a sink 'y'; remove a fireplace 'z'.

It doesn't exist and yet every woman knows the price of a cosmetic op. A dentist the price of a filling, a lawyer the cost of conveyancing, or an architect the cost of plans.

They are professional. Set fees in place. You can phone up and ask. Answer received 'it costs 'x'. But why is the 'trade' mantra is ' Have to see it.' It's a bloody door needs hanging!

'Well it could need hinges or have handles, worse it could open inwards. Inwards eh, Harry? Yeah. Need to have alook'.

Fact.

Other issues come into quoting blind such as no flue liner in a fire place or radiator pipes 6m away and copper been the price it is that can soon take the money out of the job. The dentist, lawyer and architect just charge full price not much that can go wrong in pencil pushing is there? There are that many people on here that offer plumbing or eletrical work that arnt qualified the prices they can do it for are unreal.

I asked a builder working on a house how much to fit an entire bathroom suite. He told me £350.

I thought that was extortionate for what the work actually is. You can't call it skilled and once you've done a soil pipe you know all there is to know.

Don't be ripped off. There's no work around now and most people responding on here ride horses and wear big brimmed hats.

No there isnt any work around for people who arnt qualified thats why they quote cheap but thats why people get ripped off because they go for the cheaper price. Thats the people with the big brimmed hats

Oh dear, oh dear !!!!

The major difference with the "trades" is that every job is different. You never know what your going to come up against, there are MANY variables, which make quoting blind or fixed pricing very risky for the business.

We list our prices for boiler installs, but these are ALWAYS, subject to survey.

hi

we have seen on ebay some lovely bathroom suites at a cheap price and was wondering how much it would cost for someone to change it over thanx

I personally wouldnt recommend purchasing your bathroom suite from ebay.

A decent bathroom fitter will be able to get you a trade quality bathroom from their own supplier which should be far superior quality. I recon the price would be the same too.

Cheap baths flex, cheap fittings leak. Also avoid places like Wickes & B&Q with their "offers". when they say "was £1000, now £600" it really means "was always £600, for a cheap nasty £300 Suite" Avoid at all costs!!!

Steven Peacock

Fact.

You're not very bright are you.

Solicitors have a set hourly rate, how many hours it takes is down to the details of the case.

Architects have a set hourly rate, how many hours it takes is down to the details of the job.

Does every woman know the price of a cosmetic procedure? I doubt that, What I don't doubt is that there are thousands walking around with faulty implants due to 'cowboys'.

Not thought it through have you old boy.

Edited by dismay

Fact.

Can you give me a price for a reroof please?

I'm sure you dont need to see the property or even need to know what the current roof covering is or what I need it replacing with.

I dont suppose you'll even need to survey the property for access (scaffolding etc).

Sir, you are an idiot.

Great Read.

I fitted my own bathroom, I had to because the qualified plumber made a right balls of it. It's also the first time I'd ever attempted anything plumby. That was about 5 years years ago and the ceiling downstairs is still in one piece. I also fitted an updated radiator around 2 years ago, piece of cake.

Most of my home improvement I'll do myself, it's not hard to work out, and doing it yourself you can take all the time in the world (within reason, being shouted at by your stinky family because the showers been off for 2 days isn't ideal).

Some things however you need the 'OTHERS' gas & electric.

Fact.

One of the most shocking, ill informed and ignorant posts I've ever read.

I asked a builder working on a house how much to fit an entire bathroom suite. He told me £350.

I thought that was extortionate for what the work actually is. You can't call it skilled and once you've done a soil pipe you know all there is to know.

Don't be ripped off. There's no work around now and most people responding on here ride horses and wear big brimmed hats.

Most people shop around. First exclude the idiots. Then pick the best out of the 'proper' bathroom fitters.

If you cannot achieve that then do it yourself and stop wasting yours and other peoples time.

The good trades people are never short of work, the cheap tradesmen that do 'cheap' jobs are always struggling and always will.

Let the cheap low quality builders work work for cheap low quality customers.

Edited by retired
spelling

I've never seen such a transparent attempt at defending the indefencible.

And yes, regardless of 'survey' a dentist can quote, as can any private surgeon seen, for 'work' regardless of 'materials' required. Or does he like any builder, get a call and disappear for days on end? 'It's alright love, he's says he'll pop back to put the kidney in on Friday morning. He's got a vasectomy needs doing in Darnall.'

I've also never heard of a surgeon, doctor, dentist etc walking off the job, leaving it unfinished or not even turning up.

And as for trying to justify extortion by way of paying for the best it's just flawed ill-logic.

Otherwise, would the lowest income householder then get a cheaper job? Would areas of Sheffield be singularly targetted as places of specific extraction of monies due to locale?

The answer is no as the trades simply rip all and sundry. Grandma never had it so bad since homes were modernised. Are we to believe that the 'best' provide a reliable service? show me where double glazing salesmen haven't camped out in your living room until Guantanamo like they break you into signing for a £5000 refit of the kitchen window. The small one. You can put any name on that - any you dislike - and there's a queue of people willing to tell it from her to eternity.

There is no ethics committee running the building trade. There is no hypocratic oath although there is something along those lines. The hypocracy and lies tale of 'it's got to be re-newed love.' Sharp intake of breath, 'been left too long. It's the lintels, mantles, fings wot holds the candles. All gotta come down.'

Rogue Traders remains fact. Not fiction.

They are not actors spouting lines they don't believe. It is real!! hello? reality check in progress. The trades is a mis-noma for ' Mother, we've got daylight burglars in the house.'

I don't find the defence of trades being made by satisfied customers. Whatever any one says the building trade, which encompasses a whole caball of cowboys, shares the same quality reputation as used car salesmen.

I'm trying to let facts get in the way of your fiction.

Rome wasn't built in a day! Of course not. There was more money in it the longer it could be spun out.

Builders' bums and bum builders. Bare faced cheek doesn't cover it.

The hidden mantra shared by all trades is job pricing. How much will it cost? The answer, and as an insider and whistle blower I've witnessed it, is: 'As much as you can get.

Argue with the facts. Argue with the opinion people hold. Argue with your own reputation made by ............ [ sharp intake of breath ]

Most people shop around. First exclude the idiots. Then pick the best out of the 'proper' bathroom fitters.

If you cannot achieve that then do it yourself and stop wasting yours and other peoples time.

The good trades people are never short of work, the cheap tradesmen that do 'cheap' jobs are always struggling and always will.

Let the cheap low quality builders work work for cheap low quality customers.

There are loads of good tradesmen without work-the building industry is afflicted by a recession,and is the hardest hit sector.