Pedestrian killed in collision with police car

Removed for the benefit of BF

Edited by splodgeyAl

How are you suggesting that the police caused the jury to return a not guilty verdict?

The evidence they presented maybe?

Well, senoir judges seem to think it's possible since the 2003 reforms, unless it's changed again since this report of course:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/police-jurors-are-a-threat-to-fair-trials-senior-judges-warn-933037.html

Were there any Police officers on the jury then?

jb

Well, senoir judges seem to think it's possible since the 2003 reforms, unless it's changed again since this report of course:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/police-jurors-are-a-threat-to-fair-trials-senior-judges-warn-933037.html

Do you know there were any police officers sitting on the jury?

No, I don't I was answering the question in a general way. I would have thought that obvious from a read of the article

The evidence they presented maybe?

Presumably it was the IPCC that brought the prosecution, not the police force for which he worked, and from the little we know there wouldn't really have been a great deal of evidence to present.

The question (I guess) that the jury had to satisfy themselves on was whether the officer was justified in speeding at that point.

Were there any Police officers on the jury then?

under the circumstances, im sure that a police officer would not have been allowed to sit on the jury due to the prejudice and bias they could bring with them to the verdict.

x

Edited by sophiec1979

No, I don't I was answering the question in a general way. I would have thought that obvious from a read of the article

Well it was pretty irrelevant to the OP unless you know there were police officers on the jury.

I try to support the police at all times and think they do a very hard job for what seems to be an increasingly ungrateful public. But I am absolutely at a loss to know how this guy was cleared of the charge of death by careless driving. The verdict was reached by a jury so it's hard to know how it could have been a "whitewash". They must have had their reasons for clearing him but I'm struggling to understand what they were. *How* can doing 58mph in a 30 zone *not* be careless or dangerous driving? Especially when he had no blue lights and no sirens? I've been following this case quite closely mainly because a couple of years ago I was on Crookes one evening about 8-ish which can be reasonably busy up there. I was waiting to turn right onto Stannington View Rd and when the road became clear I was just about to turn when a police car came past on the outside of me doing what was certainly *well* above the speed limit. But again, no blue light and no sirens. One moment it was clear in my mirror and the next moment he was overtaking me at speed. Scared the living daylights out of me. I still go cold thinking about what would have happened if I'd already started to turn because there's no way he'd have avoided me at that speed.

I try to support the police at all times and think they do a very hard job for what seems to be an increasingly ungrateful public. But I am absolutely at a loss to know how this guy was cleared of the charge of death by careless driving. The verdict was reached by a jury so it's hard to know how it could have been a "whitewash". They must have had their reasons for clearing him but I'm struggling to understand what they were. *How* can doing 58mph in a 30 zone *not* be careless or dangerous driving? Especially when he had no blue lights and no sirens? I've been following this case quite closely mainly because a couple of years ago I was on Crookes one evening about 8-ish which can be reasonably busy up there. I was waiting to turn right onto Stannington View Rd and when the road became clear I was just about to turn when a police car came past on the outside of me doing what was certainly *well* above the speed limit. But again, no blue light and no sirens. One moment it was clear in my mirror and the next moment he was overtaking me at speed. Scared the living daylights out of me. I still go cold thinking about what would have happened if I'd already started to turn because there's no way he'd have avoided me at that speed.

I cannot understand why on earth they wouldn't try and make themselves as visible as possible. It's not as though its some sort of covert operation. I understand they need to speed at certain times, but other road users have an expectation that the people they come across will be travelling at normal speeds, not 58 in a 30 limit. If they have to travel at an out of the ordinary speed, then they ought to advertise the fact as much as possible.

It would be very unfair to send a officer of the law to prison... think of all the grief he would get! A slap on the wrist is all that is needed.. let the poor chap get on with his life dont you think he has sufferd enough?

Well it was pretty irrelevant to the OP unless you know there were police officers on the jury.
Ok, thanks for the enlightenment. I've always thought that background info to the subject I'm talking about is irrelevant, too Edited by splodgeyAl