Bath Hotel Sheffield

went in Friday night, as an old regular cant really say I enjoyed it. Never really been a fan of Thornbridge beer anyway, it all tastes over-hopped and strong in my opinion. Tried a pint of sequoa (sp?), which is supposed to be one of their milder beers, and wasnt keen. Mate I was with said the Bernard lager was a bit on the crap side. I used to drink the Schneider Weisse wheat beer in there, but theyve got rid of that, and the Bitburger. Seemed to be a few CAMRA beer ponce types in as well. Overall, not really impresed. Might try them again when theyve been open a month or so, but think well stick with Henrys and the Washington from now on.

There's no such thing as overhopped in my opinion! I think Thornbridge beers are in general some of the best I've had and if you don't like strong beers then Wild Swan at 3.5% is an excellent session ale. As I said previously it's not the beers nor the pubs I have an issue with, it's the wife of the proprietor!

There's no such thing as overhopped in my opinion! I think Thornbridge beers are in general some of the best I've had and if you don't like strong beers then Wild Swan at 3.5% is an excellent session ale. As I said previously it's not the beers nor the pubs I have an issue with, it's the wife of the proprietor!

agree with that on all 3 counts!

i do have mixed feelings on the whole ownership thing though... no matter how despicable Emma Harrison and her other business interests may be (allegedly, etc), as a brewer i do feel we should judge a brewery purely on the quality of their output and their business practices - after all, we brew good beers (i think so anyway!), but there are some who consider myself and Gazza to be somewhat opinionated (can't see it myself ;) ), I wouldn't want people to think less of the beers because of that

One poster on here has been saying that music nights will cease to happen entirely. This just isn't the case. We will have music on every week when possible.

Edd

Hiya Edd.

Does this mean the Monday night session will continue?

Never even noticed the foreign stuff in the Bath. Always managed to find a reasonable pint of english ale.

Yep they have always had Anchor Steam from San Francisco and various German beers on tap too. I hope its not going to become like the Hallamshire House and only sell Thornbridge (nothing wrong with it, but I don't want every pub to be selling the same stuff....I want to go to pubs because I know they have stuff I won't see elsewhere)

ya the monday night music sessions are still going ahead.

i dont get why some people are saying its all thornbridge now. they have three thornbidge and three guests. they havent changed very much about the place at all

i dont get why some people are saying its all thornbridge now. they have three thornbidge and three guests. they havent changed very much about the place at all

OK, Stooge!

Let`s hope it stays tsat way and has better guests than Allgates and Phoenix to `compete`.

Yep they have always had Anchor Steam from San Francisco and various German beers on tap too. I hope its not going to become like the Hallamshire House and only sell Thornbridge (nothing wrong with it, but I don't want every pub to be selling the same stuff....I want to go to pubs because I know they have stuff I won't see elsewhere)

The German beer I remember most in there was Schneider Weisse on draught. Happily the Thornbridge Weisse beer, "Versa" tastes very similar indeed to Schneider Weisse.

And I've certainly seen US keg beers in the Coach & Horses before now, although there's been less of that since Thornbridge moved into the keg beer market themselves. I'd be more excited about something like Camden Pale Ale as a guest keg beer then Anchor Steam Beer if I'm honest.

Edited by Stoatwobbler

agree with that on all 3 counts!

i do have mixed feelings on the whole ownership thing though... no matter how despicable Emma Harrison and her other business interests may be (allegedly, etc), as a brewer i do feel we should judge a brewery purely on the quality of their output and their business practices - after all, we brew good beers (i think so anyway!), but there are some who consider myself and Gazza to be somewhat opinionated (can't see it myself ;) ), I wouldn't want people to think less of the beers because of that

Er, I have seen a punter walk into Shakespeare's, see DILLIGAF on the bar and proclaim that they weren't drinking it because they didn't get on with you!

That's not an attitude towards breweries I endorse myself though. What matters is the quality of the beer, not whether or not you like the head brewer.

haha, quite appropriate the beer was called DILLIGAF then!

Just meant there was more DILLIGAF for me really! :D

I think they had Summer Wine Rouge Hop on at the same time so quite frankly I was rather happy with the choice of ale.

DILLIGAF was one of my favourites we've brewed... but always happy to see Summer Wine too! hopefully doing a collaboration with them soon