Very drole. I very rarely use them for anything garden related and certainly don't seek their advice, I have however used them for DIY projects on Sundays when Bolers are shut and on matters in which I am not expert such as electrics and plumbing have found their knowledge poor, even from their self described experts.

I think I can see the reason for your confusion.

Unlike gardening, plumbing (gas work) and electrics require an industry standard qualification. Gas work = 'Gas Safe', Electrical = 'Part P'. With respect, anyone can pick up a fork and start weeding the beds but there are only certain things that unqualified people are allowed to do with plumbing and electrics.

This is the reason that the staff at B&Q can only help you with certain things. You my be able to purchase the goods needed for other jobs but they can only be carried out by a qualified trades person, therefore it would be inapropriate for the member of staff to advise you even though he/she may be more than capable.

Hope this helps. :)

I use B&Q often. I would not expect them to be able to advise me on what product to use. Lets face it they sell everything for homes and they cannot be expected to know about all the products they sell.

I do find them polite and will always help me find what I am looking for if I am not familiar with that particular store. I do buy through their trade point though if the store has one. The queue is shorter and you get served faster than in store.

I also notice they employ people of all ages and not just the young. No age prejudice there. I like to see the big boys employ young, middle aged and even the early 60 odd year olds.

I worked for them a few years ago and they may not be experts in all things d.i.y, but as an employer they are fair enough. If your child has an interview that's great, as this is almost impossible these days especially for young people. So tell them to go for it, there's loads of young staff there.

I wanted to wurk with the men at B&Q in the bilding dept at darnell.I am igerrant, rude, and no nuffing about bilding stuff, despit been well kwalified I dint get the job. I think its becorse I was to interligent and ad two many brayns to work there

Judging by your level of English I don't think that was the reason, you can't even spell work

Back when I was on JSA I applied to Hillsborough B&Q, typically they didn't even acknowledge my application! :rant:

Back when I was on JSA I applied to Hillsborough B&Q, typically they didn't even acknowledge my application! :rant:

Did you varnish it :roll:

Did you varnish it :roll:

Que? :loopy:

i worked at the worksop b and q and was basicly used by hem they used me for xmas period then let me go with no reason

Never worked at the place but in the current climate interviews seem few and far between he doesn't have to stay forever get some experience and move on afterall its easier to get another job whilst your doing it from the position of actually having a job imo.

That's a shock especially with how keen to work you are!! :hihi::loopy:

Just read this entire thread out of boredom, well done manofstrad ! seems you put the uphill gardener in his grass box. you know what they say, if a mans got no trousers he cant pull em up!

i use b&q at darnall quite alot (tradepoint side) and all the staff there are great!