Where do both Sheffield clubs draw their support?

daniel3982

Cheers for the insight and glad people have been able to keep it civil as worried it would turn into a slanging match!

I guess there's certain areas that are going to be much more one than the other (like Hillsborough and Parson's Cross for the Owls and Highfield & Heeley for the Blades), always wondered if there was more behind it though like one being the team of the steel works and the other more middle class.

In Manchester where I worked it always felt more that City had the South of the city and Stockport and United had Trafford, Salford and North Manchester. With City moving grounds to East Manchester though wonder if that affected it. God knows how it works in Liverpool or Dundee where both clubs play next door to each other!

I grew up and have moved back to the Manor\Arbourthorne and I would say it is slightly weighted more towards SUFC and i've always thought that SUFC was slightly more working class but that's probably just a perception because of where I grew up.

I couldn't have written that better myself. Well done great post:):):)

I always thought it was more Geographic than anything else.

Wednesday- North Sheffield; Hillsborough, Walkley, Wadsley Bridge, Parson Cross, Ecclesfield, Chapeltown, Stocksbridge. Then support from pockets of Barnsley, Rotherham, Dearne Valley, even up to Pontefract way.

United - South Sheffield; Heeley, Sharrow, Woodseats, Hackenthorpe, Totley, Dore, Gleadless. Then out through Dronfield and out to Chesterfield.

Areas like Manor and Westfield, Mosborough/Townships are a mixed bag as families moved into them during the 60's/70's.

Nothing to do with religion or class. Would say both clubs are very much "working class" strongholds.

I agree with the areas you've highlighted for each club although id say arbourthorne is more united . As for the working class/non working class team I think were both the same. As we all work/live/drink/holiday together

I don't know if this is a class thing but I do remember a copper ( the husband of one of my wife's mates) once telling me that he always noticed a difference when on duty at either ground by looking at the fans. United's were far scruffier. True story.

Quite funny that because in the mid 80's in the good old day of football casuals down at BDTBL we always used to pride ourselves on our Lacoste, Tacchini, Ellesse and Armani attire and think what a set of dishevelled untrendy tramps our neighbours accross the city dressed like. True story.

Quite funny that because in the mid 80's in the good old day of football casuals down at BDTBL we always used to pride ourselves on our Lacoste, Tacchini, Ellesse and Armani attire and think what a set of dishevelled untrendy tramps our neighbours accross the city dressed like. True story.

:):):):):):):) hahahahaha I just choked on my tea and nearly fell off the setee. Top post! !

Just about sums up the 80s at Bramhall Lane mate, you where watching fashion, we where watching football :hihi::hihi::hihi: