Where do both Sheffield clubs draw their support?

It's all who ever thi fatha supports, if you let your son support the other lot never mind where you live then they arnt feeling the real passion....I don't think it matters so much these day's where you live as any right minded dad would make sure there son supported the same as you even if you had moved from say Hillsborough/Bramall Lane...

My Father went to both grounds supported football

I let my son decide he chose Blades his kids were given choice 4 Blades 1 owl

My Father went to both grounds supported football

I let my son decide he chose Blades his kids were given choice 4 Blades 1 owl

That was a long time ago Paul, lad's would get ridiculed if they went to watch the Owls one week then the Blades the next week in this day and age.

I don't know one bloke who is an owl or a blade and there "young lad" supports the opposite.

My parents had no interest in football so I had to make my own mind up.

I lived south of Sheffield but I'd say it was 50/50 where I grew up and also at the school I went to.

First game I went to was Blades v Owls. Blades won. But I used to go and watch both teams in that first season. Although hillsboro always seemed like a bit of a trek, they'd got no roof on the kop, so the atmosphere wasn't as good and you got soaked if it rained. But the main thing is the football wasn't as good. So I favoured the Blades and what a journey it's been! Both my kids support United now, because I do. So the family thing has something to do with it. I suppose they could go off the rails when they get a bit older and start taking drugs, indulging in criminal activity and supporting Sheffield Wednesday. But I don't think so somehow.

The class thing is interesting. I recall seeing a reprint of an early edition of the Green 'Un sportspaper, from around the turn of last century. It depicted the Wednesday fan in top hat and tails and the United fan in flat cap and muffler. That kind of suggests that there was some kind of superiority complex way back then amongst Owls fans. Or maybe it was just journalistic mischief?

Wednesday were formed before United. They had over 20 years start on them. When United came into existence they were competing, from scratch, for local support. In order to try and attract support United undercut Wednesday's admission prices. This didn't go down too well with Wednesday - and it may have something to do with the perception of United as being the working man's club and Wednesday being something a bit more elite.

I think the reality is that both are great clubs and have wonderful support. In my watching lifetime they've both had the upper hand for long spells - United in the '70's, Wednesday in the 90's. Wednesday, at least, have won something during that time - and boy do those Owls fans not hesitate to let us know about it.

After 40 years of watching the Blades I expect us to win nothing of any significance - but enjoy the entertainment all the same.

Edited by DerbyTup

My parents had no interest in football so I had to make my own mind up.

I lived south of Sheffield but I'd say it was 50/50 where I grew up and also at the school I went to.

First game I went to was Blades v Owls. Blades won. But I used to go and watch both teams in that first season. Although hillsboro always seemed like a bit of a trek, they'd got no roof on the kop, so the atmosphere wasn't as good and you got soaked if it rained. But the main thing is the football wasn't as good. So I favoured the Blades and what a journey it's been! Both my kids support United now, because I do. So the family thing has something to do with it. I suppose they could go off the rails when they get a bit older and start taking drugs, indulging in criminal activity and supporting Sheffield Wednesday. But I don't think so somehow.

The class thing is interesting. I recall seeing a reprint of an early edition of the Green 'Un sportspaper, from around the turn of last century. It depicted the Wednesday fan in top hat and tails and the United fan in flat cap and muffler. That kind of suggests that there was some kind of superiority complex way back then amongst Owls fans. Or maybe it was just journalistic mischief?

Wednesday were formed before United. They had over 20 years start on them. When United came into existence they were competing, from scratch, for local support. In order to try and attract support United undercut Wednesday's admission prices. This didn't go down too well with Wednesday - and it may have something to do with the perception of United as being the working man's club and Wednesday being something a bit more elite.

I think the reality is that both are great clubs and have wonderful support. In my watching lifetime they've both had the upper hand for long spells - United in the '70's, Wednesday in the 90's. Wednesday, at least, have won something during that time - and boy do those Owls fans not hesitate to let us know about it.

After 40 years of watching the Blades I expect us to win nothing of any significance - but enjoy the entertainment all the same.

Two points in bold, number 1, all those so called "elite fans", must have a day off every time I go to S6?? :hihi: (joking before anyone starts!)

Second point, that is how I see it, I enjoy the whole day out at BDTBL, from a few beers before to a few (or more) after, and the crack in the pubs and at the ground, seeing the lads I have known for years.

Two points in bold, number 1, all those so called "elite fans", must have a day off every time I go to S6?? :hihi: (joking before anyone starts!)

Second point, that is how I see it, I enjoy the whole day out at BDTBL, from a few beers before to a few (or more) after, and the crack in the pubs and at the ground, seeing the lads I have known for years.

Probably something not to boast about on the internet! Although it does prove the bit about Wednesday fans being of a higher class ;)

Probably something not to boast about on the internet! Although it does prove the bit about Wednesday fans being of a higher class ;)

Now, now Scoobs, OK I meant craic, typing too fast, and I will be seeing a couple of lads you know for a beer first, so will tell them to give you a smack from me! :hihi:

Now, now Scoobs, OK I meant craic, typing too fast, and I will be seeing a couple of lads you know for a beer first, so will tell them to give you a smack from me! :hihi:

whos that then?

whos that then?

It's not that many years ago that we were at someones birthday party at Dore, in the same room together!

It's not that many years ago that we were at someones birthday party at Dore, in the same room together!

me in the same room as a blade? must try harder! gonna give me any more clues?

me in the same room as a blade? must try harder! gonna give me any more clues?

You were pretty much outnumbered that night anyway! No more clues, will tell you next time I see you.

I'm from Barnsley but went to school in Sheffield aged 11 and started supporting United from then on. Went to the match recently by train from Barnsley and loads of Blades boarded at Elsecar and Wombwell. That said more Owls from Barnsley, Hoyland, Wombwell etc

High Green born and bred, again with the family connections...never wanted a choice to be honest...I wanted to go the matches wi me dad....so being a blade was the be all and end all....married an owl, dint take long to put that right...kids will be blades as well...especially if I'm paying for the tickets!