Gay marriage - 'shameful'?

I have nothing against gay marriage but think that a church is the wrong place it is against the biblical teaching as is sodomy. The Christian church teaches and believes in the bible and to go against that teaching undermines the Church. I understand that a gay couple might be Christians and want the same rights but a true Church going Christian of either sexuality should understand this is just not right. I know that many priests are gay and maybe one of those may be prepared to marry a gay couple in a place other than a church but no way should they be expected to do it in the house of God.

The bible also clearly states that women should not be allowed to speak in church. It specifically forbids divorce and remarrying, says that women have to cover their hair in church, says that you cannot wear clothing made of two kinds of material. It says that adulterers should be put to death... etc. (I could go on for quite some time)

If its ok for the church to ignore all of those bits why can't it also ignore that bit about homosexuality?

The bible also clearly states that women should not be allowed to speak in church. It specifically forbids divorce and remarrying, says that women have to cover their hair in church, says that you cannot wear clothing made of two kinds of material. It says that adulterers should be put to death... etc. (I could go on for quite some time)

If its ok for the church to ignore all of those bits why can't it also ignore that bit about homosexuality?

This is an interesting point, people pick and choose what part of the Bible that they follow, so why use the Bible for justification of their views?

I am not denying anyone anything.

You are arguing to maintain the status quo, which is denial of marriage for gay people.

I am saying there are 2 different systems for 2 different types of people.

Yes, and when that is the case we call it discrimination.

As you say we control the rules and obviously the rules do not suit you but do suit others.

They suit those who are happy to discriminate against gay people.

It is not wrong to deny a section of society something when they do not fit the criteris

It is wrong when the criteria are by definition discriminatory.

and there is an alternative whose criteris they fit.

No, providing them an alternative (the back of the bus for example) doesn't stop it being wrong.

I am beginning to think some posters consider a man and woman to be the same and there is no difference between them.

You were almost close to an epiphany there.

In law, men and women (all people) should be treat equally. The law should be blind to differences that are inate, colour, sexuality, shoe size, etc...

I don't belong to a church , mosque or synagogue .but seeing you're bringing up religion it would be interesting to hear what the muslim,and jews on sheffield forum think of gay marraige

well, THIS Muslim thinks that if a gay couple want to marry, it absolutely doesn't affect her life one jot... So what's the difficulty?

You are arguing to maintain the status quo, which is denial of marriage for gay people.

Yes, and when that is the case we call it discrimination.

They suit those who are happy to discriminate against gay people.

It is wrong when the criteria are by definition discriminatory.

No, providing them an alternative (the back of the bus for example) doesn't stop it being wrong.

Disagree with you.

Reasons already given.

You were almost close to an epiphany there.

In law, men and women (all people) should be treat equally. The law should be blind to differences that are inate, colour, sexuality, shoe size, etc...

The law does not says a man and woman are the same gender.

This is the point of the argument, gender difference.

The debate on this thread is about changing the criteria, I think it should be changed to allow same sex couples to marry; how would it effect you if the criteria was changed?

It would not affect me at all but there are times when a stand has to be made against pressure groups when one believes that the present systems are correct.