How to get a job after being at Hallam Uni?

...after carrying out some research i think i've found what i needed, and as being at Sheffield Hallam and now job hunting, i thought sharing this would be helpful for others.

sites such as linkedin or weconnectstudents have been useful and will allow employers to connect directly to you. though still sending your CVs to job agencies.

Though so far i like the idea of a social network. what do you think??

I have been on linked in for quite a while but I've found a lot of people in my industry have signed up with the last few months. In my industry sector almost all recruiting is done via an agency and linked in in a good place to be as they often search it. I can't speak for recruitment outside my sector though.

Good luck.

Linked in will be unlikely to be of any use since you'll have little in the way of contacts or of experience.

I'd suggest that looking at monster.co.uk and going to the milk round graduate fares would be the best to start. Your university probably has a careers service that is still accessible to you as an alumni, make use of that.

Linked in will be unlikely to be of any use since you'll have little in the way of contacts or of experience.

I'd suggest that looking at monster.co.uk and going to the milk round graduate fares would be the best to start. Your university probably has a careers service that is still accessible to you as an alumni, make use of that.

You are wrong there. Agency staff trawl them looking for people with qualifications not just experience.

You are wrong there. Agency staff trawl them looking for people with qualifications not just experience.

Hmmm, maybe it's industry specific, they certainly don't trawl it looking for IT graduates, simply because most roles they advertise require experience in addition to qualifications.

Shall try those sites that you've suggested! they look promising. never thought about twitter and following companies. I'm trying to find more graduate jobs and the sort. Though reading up, monster seems too big and more of a site for an everyday job.

Looked on wiki jobs and they seem to have a lots of information about past experience of getting through to an interview which is helpful. just needing that first contact now. Well i've signed up to monster and mysheffieldjobs

Though i feel that this site "www.weconnectstudents.com" is aimed more towards students which is what i am, will just have to see what happens.

Cheers.

Edited by adam_s_f