Painful whitlow help..

Hi I need advice as I am on verge of wanting to remove my thumb it throbs that much.

I recently had a Whitlow I get them when I am run down mostly.

It was hurting me and I kept catching it, so pulled it off.

Since then my thumb has continued to swell and is very red, it is throbbing and really really painful.

I have been told to soak my thumb in hot salt water a while, then try to squeeze it. (My best mate uses this method)

She said once puss has been squeezed out to coat the wound in Germolene and then cover with a plaster to draw rest of infection out.

Has anyone tried this??? and does it work??? sound over cautious.

But my legs ain't much cop as it is lol (I use a wheelchair), last thing I need is rest of me body falling apart hehe:hihi:

I really want to avoid using antibiotics as I have them a lot as it is, due to my disabilities I get run down quiet easy and fatigued.

Which makes me quiet open to infections, and cold sores ect when I am run down.

Any more Ideas on what I can do to reduce the swelling and pain??

Get a nice warm bath and soak it. You will be able to squeeze a bit more puss out - just keep sliding across it like you're trying to get all the toothpaste to one end. Then let it soak a bit more, then repeat - do it until it feels like it's empty.

I never bother with the germolene - just let it air. I didn't know what a whitlow was until I read your post - I get them if I bite my nails too much, which just about serves me right doesn't it? :)

I'll sort it for you, I'll need to sterilise the pliers first though.

Don't because right now I will take you up on any offer :) of help.

Cos it is driving me mad, and if my other half thinks I am going to look stupid going walk in centre with it he can think again. lol

Right I am going to try the water thing and then squeeze it, Hope it works cos I am sick of it now grrrr:mad:

Don't because right now I will take you up on any offer :) of help.

Cos it is driving me mad, and if my other half thinks I am going to look stupid going walk in centre with it he can think again. lol

Right I am going to try the water thing and then squeeze it, Hope it works cos I am sick of it now grrrr:mad:

The best way is to stop biting your nails, hard, but you can do it.

Soaking in hot salt water, will take the pain away, but will not take away the cause, now will it?

Hi I need advice as I am on verge of wanting to remove my thumb it throbs that much.

I recently had a Whitlow I get them when I am run down mostly.

It was hurting me and I kept catching it, so pulled it off.

Since then my thumb has continued to swell and is very red, it is throbbing and really really painful.

I have been told to soak my thumb in hot salt water a while, then try to squeeze it. (My best mate uses this method)

She said once puss has been squeezed out to coat the wound in Germolene and then cover with a plaster to draw rest of infection out.

Has anyone tried this??? and does it work??? sound over cautious.

But my legs ain't much cop as it is lol (I use a wheelchair), last thing I need is rest of me body falling apart hehe:hihi:

I really want to avoid using antibiotics as I have them a lot as it is, due to my disabilities I get run down quiet easy and fatigued.

Which makes me quiet open to infections, and cold sores ect when I am run down.

Any more Ideas on what I can do to reduce the swelling and pain??

Soaking it in Dr Pepper works too.. :)

... Cos it is driving me mad, and if my other half thinks I am going to look stupid going walk in centre with it he can think again. lol
You won't look stupid, it sounds quite serious. If you get it badly infected, it could make you really ill.

Please go and get some proper medical attention. Otherwise I'm going to be worrying about you all night! :|