Doctors - should I complain?

Long story short:

My GP surgery operates an 'Urgent Access' hour every morning: If you're ill on the day, drop in and wait to be seen between 10.30am and 11.30am.

I did this last Monday, waited an hour, got seen by a GP. No problem so far.

Now, I was going with eczema. A condition I have had for 30 years, I know what works and what doesn't. Everything I was trying wasn't working and the eczema was getting worse. And I mean really bad (the GP actually gasped when he looked at me)

He prescribed me Oilatum which I knew wouldn't work (already tried it) so I asked for steroid cream. 'Not yet. try this first and come back in a week to see me if it doesn't improve'. Instead of arguing, I decided to jump through the hoops and come back in a week. He would see it hadn't worked and I would get the steroid cream.

So... It's been a week and it hasn't worked (like I knew) so I've just called the surgery to book in with him like he requested. 'Can't get you in until 6th March i'm afraid'. I explained that HE requested ME to go back in a week. 'Sorry, still can't get you in'.

So I suggested that I attend this 'Urgent Access' hour on Monday. 'No, you can't use that. That's for patients that are ill on the day. You can't use that 'just' for eczema'.

I put the phone down in tears, at a loss of what to do. She clearly underestimates what this condition is like, it's blighted me for years.I have no choice but to wait until 6th March to see a GP.

I called back and asked what the complaints procedure was and she just gave me the Practice Manager's name.

What would you do? Write to the manager or take it further?

why didnt you make an appointment for the following week when you first visited. If I've seen the doctor and he/she says I will see you in a week, I go straight to reception and say doctor wants to see me in a weeks time.

Go to the Urgent Access anyway.

why didnt you make an appointment for the following week when you first visited. If I've seen the doctor and he/she says I will see you in a week, I go straight to reception and say doctor wants to see me in a weeks time.

My mum said that. I didn't think of it. I just did what he said at the time, which was to wait and see, then book in.

Go to the Urgent Access anyway.

She said that wasn't for 'people like me'.

You can buy hydrocortisone cream over the counter, it'll probably be cheaper than a prescription.

You can buy hydrocortisone cream over the counter, it'll probably be cheaper than a prescription.

Tried it....

The doctor himself should have booked you that appointment right there and then, as doctors are able to make appointments that the receptionists claim not to be able to give out

I've been met with all kinds of stupidity thanks to the practice's 'procedures', including not being able to book a double appointment for when both me and the baby were ill - they expected me to drag us both out TWICE when the baby was in a condition which would at one time have been a call out case :mad:

I rang back and requested to be put through to the practice manager. The receptionist suddenly became more helpful and dealt with me properly, booking us both in at the same time

The doctor himself should have booked you that appointment right there and then, as doctors are able to make appointments that the receptionists claim not to be able to give out

I've been met with all kinds of stupidity thanks to the practice's 'procedures', including not being able to book a double appointment for when both me and the baby were ill - they expected me to drag us both out TWICE when the baby was in a condition which would at one time have been a call out case :mad:

I rang back and requested to be put through to the practice manager. The receptionist suddenly became more helpful and dealt with me properly, booking us both in at the same time

It's crazy. She told me to go to the Walk In centre in town. I told her, as a Tax Payer and patient I am entitled to see a GP, I live miles away from town. She was unshakeable.

Write to the practice manager if you feel strongly about it. The receptionist could probably have dealt with it more sensitively but I have a feeling at the end of the day the actual theory of how she dealt with it was solid.

I'm sure you're really uncomfortable and it's very unpleasant for you but when they have such a limited amount of time to see urgent cases I guess they have to be quite tough about what is and isn't urgent and unfortunately I think exzema will fall firmly outside that category, after all you were okay to put up with it for another week while you tried the oilatum.

Write to the practice manager if you feel strongly about it. The receptionist could probably have dealt with it more sensitively but I have a feeling at the end of the day the actual theory of how she dealt with it was solid.

I'm sure you're really uncomfortable and it's very unpleasant for you but when they have such a limited amount of time to see urgent cases I guess they have to be quite tough about what is and isn't urgent and unfortunately I think exzema will fall firmly outside that category, after all you were okay to put up with it for another week while you tried the oilatum.

I struggled through the week. Believe me.

Just turn up Monday hun. If the doctor saw you last week for eczema in the urgent slot then he will see You again. Have you tried betnovate? A friend was covered head to foot in eczema recently. She had tried everything then the doctor prescribed that. A week later.......hey presto........all gone.