Damp proofing & removal advice/DPC/recommendations MEGATHREAD

You do not need Rentokill to fit an Envirovent ventilation unit. Google Envirovent they are a Yorkshire based company.

Great unit using only 4 watts of power and a 5 year warranty. After 5 years replace the 4 watt motor and filter and they warrant that too.

You can diy it or they will fit it for subject to a survey. The survey was £75 but that was in 2010.

These units are great for landlords who's tenants will not open a window. Typical of hmo's and Student lets. They guarantee no black mould and the more sealed up the house the better they work. Built in pollen filter too.

Cost in 2010 was £450 + vat diy or £650 + vat fitted + survey. Well worth for landlords. Stops the tenants giving you an ear ache.

Fore, Google How to install a PIV unit - DIY - Positive Input Ventilation

See a YouTube video from fixmyroof. Sounds similar to last reply as only uses a few watts.

Mike

Thanks M&N.

yes Gerry, ventilation can be a problem in HMOs.

Is there any link between having cavity wall insulation done and black mould then starting to appear? I only ask because I had it offered for free, together with loft insulation (government funded), about 3 years ago and ever since it was done black mould has been a constant pain on the upstairs walls and ceilings, especially around our bedroom window. Never had a problem in the previous 18 years we've lived here :huh:

Is there any link between having cavity wall insulation done and black mould then starting to appear? I only ask because I had it offered for free, together with loft insulation (government funded), about 3 years ago and ever since it was done black mould has been a constant pain on the upstairs walls and ceilings, especially around our bedroom window. Never had a problem in the previous 18 years we've lived here :huh:

Thanks for all the advice and Recommendations, and i think that Simon,s issue might well be the cause of the problem at my daughters house :mad:

Cavity wall insulation has been in a few years now, and i don't know if it's regular practice but even the Air vents around the house have been filled in by whoever did it at the time :confused:

Loft insulation was also done and they put loads of Layers of the insulation in, and it's about 4 feet thick in parts of the loft :confused:

Years ago, houses were not double glazed, the doors didn't seal, we didn't have fitted carpets, so there was a lot of air circulating around. These days, the opposite. Many new builds have PIV fitted as standard, and do not, I believe, suffer from condensation and damp. Like I said earlier, our 1960's bungalow has been transformed by having PIV installed.

Loft insulation was also done and they put loads of Layers of the insulation in, and it's about 4 feet thick in parts of the loft. :hihi::hihi:

This has got to be some kind of world record. Aso 50 mm cavitys should never be filled with insulation. You never had problems before cavitys were filled . probably water getting across cavity due tie irons running backwards and encouraging water to bridge cavity .Get installers back . :loopy:

Regarding mould after cavity insulation?

Not seen it on the inside but on the new extensions with 100mm cavity insulation, I am noticing Algae growing more on the North and East side of homes than before.

I am putting this down to the walls not suffering from heat loss so the walls are remaining damp for longer promoting algae growth.

Regarding mould after cavity insulation?

Not seen it on the inside but on the new extensions with 100mm cavity insulation, I am noticing Algae growing more on the North and East side of homes than before.

I am putting this down to the walls not suffering from heat loss so the walls are remaining damp for longer promoting algae growth.

Yes quite possible as well there will no air flow on inside of wall to help dry it out as well. :hihi:. Would think no air flow in cavitys is sooner or later going to cause big problems :hihi: A garage built of a single brick 100mm wall does not have these problems so there lies the proof.

Edited by spider1

Has anyone here used or know anything about Arcadia Damp Proofing Ltd

Any one have any recommendations of company's that deal with damp proof courses in Sheffield .

Need a house looking at where it appears the damp proof course may have failed