Does anone fish any propper fisheries not carp puddles

The large Dam was heavilly stocked with some really large trout in the 80's, I don't know whether they netted it or not to remove them but in its hey day it was a really good fishery.

they must have removed them because theres no mention of them on their website!!

Yes spanky I agree there's no Trout, I recon Muldoon must have his venues mixed up.

As far as I know there's never been any & I've fished this place off & on since the 60s.

trout were stocked in harlesthorpe dam in the early 80s to get round the closed season which was in force then. waters with trout in could open on 1st april instead of in june so in reality they shut for 2 weeks a year. i remember ecclesfield dam being stocked with little brownies for the same reason.

How many Trout charlie, I'd not heard of any but will stand being corrected. I certainly never caught any. If it was in the 80s I used to fish mostly rivers but still used to fish Clowne occasionally in the evenings after work through the summer.

i don't know how many trout went in harlesthorpe but they had a little stock pond at the side where you could catch your own and pay so much per pound. i once saw the owner throwing handfuls of maggots in and the trout were thrashing on the surface.

Was the small stock pond the one over the other side of road, the small round one.

Was the small stock pond the one over the other side of road, the small round one.

The stock pond was in the garden next to the bungalow.

Is there still a head of trout in there ? I recall fishing there years ago when it was a fly fishery.

used to catch the odd trout in the early 60,s while fishing shallow for the roach,The "GREEN UN "used to run a fish of the week competition back then ( can anyone remember that )and i can vaguely remember asking mr sibring ( the owner ) to verify a scraggy brownie i had foul hooked and wanted to enter, think he politely declined ,but saw a few good brownies several times after that.

how many off you still fish real fisheries like the Dam Flask & other fisheries like that.

Personaly i like fisheriels like this because it isnt just stuffed full of carp like most of them.

Admittingly i like catching the big carp andfishing these fisheries but i think that the fishing is to easy in the carp puddles

So do you fish the natural waters?

I fully agree. I can't see the point of catching in a place that is so over-stocked that the fish will take anything. Give me somewhere wild, scenic and needing skill. If I know the fish are there I will happily enjoy the scenery and wildlife even if I don't catch. In fact not catching often makes it more interesting - you have to rise to the challenge and suss out what you are doing wrong.

I fully agree. I can't see the point of catching in a place that is so over-stocked that the fish will take anything. Give me somewhere wild, scenic and needing skill. If I know the fish are there I will happily enjoy the scenery and wildlife even if I don't catch. In fact not catching often makes it more interesting - you have to rise to the challenge and suss out what you are doing wrong.

Spot on ! rodnreeluk :thumbsup: