Tesco advertising for slaves.

On what grounds Rich?

Doesn't being fired for one customer complaint sound a bit harsh to you? It sounds from that story like they took the first opportunity as an excuse to get rid of Rich.

If they had not put me on tagging baby clothes, I wouldn't have stabbed myself, therefore I wouldn't have swore for a customer to hear and report.

Simple.

Edited by pottedplant

Never mind putting these people into competitive industry they should be taken on by the state. Keeping the streets clean and looking after elderly or disabled people would mean people on benefits could contribute in a socially meaningful way to the rest of us.

As for those in prison maybe they could contribute in the same way a bit like the USA chain gangs although I suppose some European Legislation says you can't force people to do what they don't want to do.

Recession or not, nobody should receive benefit money for doing nothing, it doesn't make sense and it destroys the motivation of those who work to support themselves and their families.

If they had not put me on tagging baby clothes, I wouldn't have stabbed myself, therefore I wouldn't have swore for a customer to hear and report.

Simple.

but that's part of the job, someone has to do it.

Doesn't being fired for one customer complaint sound a bit harsh to you? It sounds from that story like they took the first opportunity as an excuse to get rid of Rich.

I ws very nearly sympathetic after reading your post - until Rich put this:

then my sympathy waned.

Edited by pottedplant

Sorry Rich but you are not making sense.

They employed you, they made reasonable adjustments when you had a capabilitiy issue when working on tills, they give you an alternative role.

You breach company policy by not maintaining appropriate behaviour in front of the customers and yet you really feel you have a right to "take them to the cleaners"

Let me quickly spell it out.

They complied with Disability Discrimination Act by not prejudicing your application for employment and fully accepting your disability.

They complied with Disability Discrimination Act, Employment Rights Act and Employment Tribunal regulations by offering you a reasonable adjustment of your duties when you were not able to maintain appropriate work standard when working on the till.

They complied with DDA and ERA and ET regulations by offering you alternative duties and continuity of employment.

YOU had a capability issue regarding "not been quick enough" on the tills.

YOU were responsible for your own injuries as failed to raise any concern before accepting the task of security tagging.

YOU did not raise any complaint or grievance at the time of the injury.

In the circumstances, what exactly did you think you would have been able to claim against them?

Never mind putting these people into competitive industry they should be taken on by the state. Keeping the streets clean and looking after elderly or disabled people would mean people on benefits could contribute in a socially meaningful way to the rest of us.

As for those in prison maybe they could contribute in the same way a bit like the USA chain gangs although I suppose some European Legislation says you can't force people to do what they don't want to do.

Recession or not, nobody should receive benefit money for doing nothing, it doesn't make sense and it destroys the motivation of those who work to support themselves and their families.

I do think that generally there would be more support for the type of activity (keeping streets clean etc) which you propose here - bit surprised people are so against charities who are taking part.

Or maybe Rich is not telling the full story.

Nowhere - even 14 years ago would get away with getting rid of someone after one complaint.

The link I posted has a list of reference links for the list at the bottom. Most of the list appears to come either from a House Of Commons Select Committee report or from a response by the Department of Works & Pensions to a Freedom Of Information request. The reason there are a lot of Kent organisations on there is because the FOI specifically asked for a list of participants in Kent so it's not a comprehensive list of companies using Workfare.

A hasty scan of the documents seems to give the impression that A4E are subcontracting this Workfare free labour to big businesses.

Thanks for that. Seems legit then, but at the same time very wrong.

I'm all for cutting the benefit bill but this isn't the way to go.

Not very subtle...lol

https://p.twimg.com/Al2iF5DCIAAUgbC.jpg:large

I think a liberal leaflet bombing of Tesco's FB page might be in order... see how quickly it takes them to clean up and ban people...

You're a bit late, that's been happening for the past two days. The Mods were desperately trying to delete the messages as fast as they could but appear to have given up now. :hihi:

Its the new government mandatory workfare scheme,Even Oxfam have got in on the act,shameful.
I used to work for Oxfam years ago when I was unemployed on a voluntarily basis, but back then I was not made or asked to go on it, I just wanted to be doing something and as a charity decided it was their lucky day.

I would not go if I was asked or made to, it should be about choice what money or time you wish to give to charity.