Tenant not paying rent

ChelC

tennant has no option

rent is due no matter if landlord has done maintenance or not.

i own a few properties, i look after them well, but the first and only time a tennant every threatened me with anything! especially withholding any money due to me would be the last time they slept in one of my houses.

i am aware of the law and they could take me to court later but they would be kicked out that day.

they would be taking me to court as a homeless person!

As someone has mentioned above join an organisation like the RLA who has meetings in Sheffield via SADLA or the NLA who has meetings at Meadowhead top (a hotel). They will advise you on all issues regarding being a landlord.

I wouldn't bother with a solicitor, too expensive. Until you know how to diy go to someone like legal4landlords, they will give you a fixed price. As for LHA, HB, DSS etc they are no riskier than a working person although a working person has a lot to lose if they get a bad credit history.

With my tenants I do a credit check and look into their history for just £24. For the 1st year I take out rent insurance but to get this insurance the tenant needs a clean history. LHA tenants would also need a guarantor. No guarantor, no tenancy agreement. Also do a good inventory and take a full bond. It is surprising how people leave a property with nothing to lose.

With a particular tenant I have had it in the past when HB has been stopped because of missing appointments or not giving information on time. I did get back payment eventually but I got rid of the tenant as soon as possible.

Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

Have already done warning letter and advised them of date they either needed to either arrange payment ( not even full amount would have done a payment plan) or to move out by. This was ignored. When they originally moved in I helped set up housing benefit which paid the majority of the rent. Now I know the dwp can be pains but they kept stopping payment because the tenant didn't send info back on time (3 times in 6 months) and I had to contact dwp and tenant and basically sort it myself.

Which is why I think I need to get the courts involved. Hopefully not have to do this again.

now you know why letting ads end with the words - NO DSS.

now you know why letting ads end with the words - NO DSS.

That isn't very fair. I recieve housing benefit and consider myself as a great tenant, I have never missed payments even redecorated the whole house including putting new carpets and flooring down (with permission).

This tenant could have been working when they moved in and may not have been even claiming housing benefit.

Working tenants are just as likely to default in my opinion.

There are many people out of work looking for homes, we are claiming housing benefit due to myself studying and my partner being disabled, so please to tar all claimants with the same brush.

tennant has no option

i am aware of the law and they could take me to court later but they would be kicked out that day.

landlords like this should be shot

Edited by Plain Talker
to fix poor quotes

tennant has no option

i own a few properties, i look after them well, but the first and only time a tennant every threatened me with anything! especially withholding any money due to me would be the last time they slept in one of my houses.

You're not very aware of the law are you? They'd be taking you to court on the spot, not later; and they'd have the keys back within six hours if you wanted to stay out of jail.

That isn't very fair. I recieve housing benefit and consider myself as a great tenant, I have never missed payments even redecorated the whole house including putting new carpets and flooring down (with permission).

This tenant could have been working when they moved in and may not have been even claiming housing benefit.

Working tenants are just as likely to default in my opinion.

"NO DSS" (or more accurately no DWP nowadays but that hasn't yet caught on) doesn't mean "no unemployed;" it means nobody on housing benefit.

People who are paying their own rent, without the assistance of benefits, by definition have got money that can be chased after. If someone who's on benefits messes up the claim, the DWP simply take the money back from the landlord, who is left out of pocket because he'd be trying to sue someone who has no spare income and can't pay him.

By all means, we'll all openly admit that not all housing benefit claimants are dodgy tenants; but since we have no way of telling them apart, not many landlords are prepared to accept people on housing benefit.

I suspect with the job market as it is, the biggest proportion of applicants are either out of work or reliant on benefit top ups. So many landlords aren't in a position to be over picky about there customers.

The customers who can be picky about where they lived probably wouldn't live in many areas of Sheffield. So landlords are stuck with customers dependant on Housing Benefit. I'm afraid it does tar decent low income applicants with the same brush though.