Why has Sheffield Council allowed this Chinese Takeaway to Remain Open?

We'll have

2 x Chicken & Cashew Nuts in Black Bean sauce

2 x Deep fried Shredded Chicken in Hot & Spicey Sauce

2 x Mixed starters

4 x Egg Fried Rice

Prawn Crackers

Be round in half an hour, i'm assuming you'll have change for a pound coin?

and a plain half pounder from harrios

There are levels of hygiene/quality at which the health inspectors will simply shut the place down on the spot; but there are other levels, not quite so bad but still bad, where they will serve notice that the establishment must improve within a certain length of time or face closure.

I don't know the details, but the principle is simple enough. Maybe "very bad" is a poor label for a level of hygiene which is still good enough to be allowed to stay open.

My favorite is shanghai garden in upperthorpe small portions but good food

and a plain half pounder from harrios

God i'm starvin' better not let the lad see this thread either.

Should it be a legal requirement for all food establishments to display their inspection results in a prominent place? It would certainly let the customer know what to expect i.e. a lack of hygiene. It would certainly shame a lot of businesses in to provided an acceptable standard.

I'm not connected with any food business and am just curious, what happens when a business sorts itself out or changes hands? How is the site updated to make sure the info is current.

inspections are about every 18 months, but the scores on the doors don't change till the next inspection

Don't businesses that fail or have a rreal hygene problem get an inspector keeping tabs on them and a time limit in which to sort things out and then they get a follow up visit, does this count as an inspection? If so and they do get things sorted then would the company remain on the site with a black mark against it's name so to speak until the next official inspection that as has been said could be 18 months away.

Edited by WallBuilder

Should it be a legal requirement for all food establishments to display their inspection results in a prominent place? It would certainly let the customer know what to expect i.e. a lack of hygiene. It would certainly shame a lot of businesses in to provided an acceptable standard.

I thought it was actually (not sure about prominent, but I did think they were required to display their rating somewhere where customers can see it.)

A few years ago there was a Chinese take away on barrow road, I stopped there one night and ordered a meal as I can remember it was quit nice as well, I was sat reading the star one night and it was going on about this Chinese take away being shut down, they were saying there was rat drippings in the pans and evidance of rat and cockroach infestation and the place was so bad that the health inspectors had no alternative but to shut the place down there and then, at the bottom of the column was picture and an address of this very Chinese chip shop that I had had a meal from a couple of days earlier to say I felt a bit sick was an understatement :gag:

I thought it was actually (not sure about prominent, but I did think they were required to display their rating somewhere where customers can see it.)

That phrase "where customers can see it" is probably how they get round it, by putting it on display in a corner where nobody ever looks because the counter's on the other side, and accidentally piling newspapers in front of it.

Our local chippy does have theirs prominently on display, but their ratings are all gold-star standard.