Are Businesses allowed to do have a skip in the road permanently?

Not necessarily. If he wants to hire a skip instead of paying to go to the tip (if it works out cheaper) I don't think that's a problem. However I'm surprised that a skip hire company will leave it on a road indefinitely. If it was on a driveway I've found them to be much more flexible compared with a public highway.

If a permit has been applied for to position it on the public highway than this is perfectly fine.

What he is probably doing is paying £X for the skip, filling it, getting them to pick it up and then paying £X for an empty skip to take its place once the full one has been removed.

As long as each skip has a permit and lights (if applicable) then it is OK and not much you can do about it.

You generally pay per skip and not per week.

Hmmm...I was afraid this would be the answer. Looks like we're stuck with a skip permanently then. Anyone know where I can find the rules to find out for certain?

It seems fairly inconsiderate in a street of terraced houses with little parking....plus its always outside the house of an elderly couple....they can't be happy with their view !

Hmmm...I was afraid this would be the answer. Looks like we're stuck with a skip permanently then. Anyone know where I can find the rules to find out for certain?

It seems fairly inconsiderate in a street of terraced houses with little parking....plus its always outside the house of an elderly couple....they can't be happy with their view !

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/about/transport-and-highways/reg-and-co-ord/skips.html

You don't have to tell the neighbour yourself- the council will do it once they are informed officially that the skip is illegal :)

Then he may wonder but he won't know who amongst his neighbours has reported the skip.

Grassed him up you mean ;)

Archived