Piracy student from Sheffield can be extradited to US

I have questioned this right from the start of this thread. No extradition clause should ever be one sided, which makes the UK government as guilty as ours. I feel sure the UK government would never sanction the return of a murderer to the US, if they thought there was a chance of a death penalty involved, and rightly so. But just because this is such a trivial case, everyone seems to think there was nothing wrong in what he did. But innocent people lost a lot of money over it. They should have a right to sue for their money in an English court at least without everybody getting into a mucksweat about these perfidious Yanks who are trying to conquer the world. If we'd wanted do do that, it would have happened long ago, instead of costing the American taxpayer an arm and a leg to keep the peace that nobody else seems to want to.

:hihi::hihi: To keept the peace? Or to fill Halliburton's coffers?

Edited by Darth Vader

Totally ridiculous, our extradition treaty with the US seriously needs binning, and redefining. It only ever seems to work in one direction, and should be reserved for the most serious of crimes.. anything else should be dealt with on home soil.

Oh so you mean a suspended sentence, and a slap on the wrist followed by a claim for £50 million for chafing his wrists in handcuffs... nah if he's hacked or whatever let him face the sentence.... The UK is too soft in its approach with criminals these days, let his 5 years make him think about what he's done be it with the states or Nigeria or wherever

Oh so you mean a suspended sentence, and a slap on the wrist followed by a claim for £50 million for chafing his wrists in handcuffs... nah if he's hacked or whatever let him face the sentence.... The UK is too soft in its approach with criminals these days, let his 5 years make him think about what he's done be it with the states or Nigeria or wherever

The UK might be soft on criminals I totally agree, however it seems one sided that someone who has not committed a crime in this country can be extradited to the States because they are said to have broken a law there whilst in this country. The laws over there vary in different states, so if someone over here does something that is legal here but illegal in the States will they want to arrest them? The Americans have a one sided system where if we want to extradite someone from there we have to jump through all sorts of hoops, if they want someone from here our Government says ok, unless it is Hamza. I bet if it was an MPs son that had done this Cameron et al would take a different stand.

From that I get the impression that you have no idea what this is even about!

Having read through all 26 pages of this thread I can't help but notice how some people are/were blindly ignoring the fact that not a single law of the United Kingdom of (once)Great Britain (& Northern Ireland) has been broken. Also, I can't understand how people don't see that, regardless of what is said, Copyright INFRINGEMENT is NOT theft. Theft is defined as "The unlawful taking of anothers' property so as to deprive the owner", it is physically impossible to deprive someone of digital content unless you take the PHYSICAL master copies and all existing backups. If something doesn't physically exist, I can not deprive you of it.

If the US really want to get into it, I should probably point out a little thing called The Statute of Anne, something that us Brits invented in 1710 which laid out Copyright law. Oh, but then the US went and stole it word for word and drafted it into their law... Sorry, my irony meter just overloaded.

It's completely possible that I could spontaneously combust at the sheer ridiculousness of the extradition order that has been signed, but seeing as it's supposedly a two way thing, I'm going to write a strongly worded letter to the UK Supreme Court demanding that they extradite a few US citizens over here for offending my sensibilities and breaching UK law by; Owning firearms, utilising a legalised brothel in Nevada, dressing in white and spouting racial hatred, owning cannabis farms in California, driving on the wrong side of the road... Need I go on? Or is it becoming clear how stupid this whole affair is?

I thought being tied to Brussels was bad...

Having read through all 26 pages of this thread I can't help but notice how some people are/were blindly ignoring the fact that not a single law of the United Kingdom of (once)Great Britain (& Northern Ireland) has been broken. Also, I can't understand how people don't see that, regardless of what is said, Copyright INFRINGEMENT is NOT theft. Theft is defined as "The unlawful taking of anothers' property so as to deprive the owner", it is physically impossible to deprive someone of digital content unless you take the PHYSICAL master copies and all existing backups. If something doesn't physically exist, I can not deprive you of it.

I've just seen this argument once already. My Mother still stole pictures on facebook, don't defend it ;)

There's nothing alleged about it; we know exactly what he did.

He hosted a website which provided links to other websites from where people could access copyrighted material without abiding by copyright. It's not illegal to host such as site in Britain; it is illegal to do so in the USA.

Google, a USA based outfit, also host links to websites where you can download copyrighted material. How come they are not being prosecuted or closed down?

Sheffield Hallam student Richard O'Dwyer faces upto ten years in a US prison for setting up a website linking to TV programmes and films. No crime has been committed in the U.K. but the extradition is going ahead. Sign the petition to stop the extradition at change.org http://www.change.org/petitions/ukhomeoffice-stop-the-extradition-of-richard-o-dwyer-to-the-usa-saverichard

Sheffield Hallam student Richard O'Dwyer faces upto ten years in a US prison for setting up a website linking to TV programmes and films. No crime has been committed in the U.K. but the extradition is going ahead. Sign the petition to stop the extradition at change.org http://www.change.org/petitions/ukhomeoffice-stop-the-extradition-of-richard-o-dwyer-to-the-usa-saverichard

It's an utter disgrace. If this was any other country than the U.S we'd be telling them to get stuffed. However, we have to bow down to the yanks despite the fact half of their legal system and rule makers seem to be worse than that of most 3rd World countries.

Free Richard O'Dwyer!

Theres a very long thread about it here...........http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=920195&highlight=richard+o+dwyer

But Richard O'Dwyer knew exactly what he was doing and benefited financially from his actions?