Working at Brown Baileys

Thanks for the link.The White Hart pub is still there.How it survived the building of the Don Valley stadium is a mystery to me.Its not a pub now.

Your welcome, there r some great pics on there

My grandfather worked at Brown Bayleys pre-1935, I think as a furnaceman. My father remembers him coming home at the end of a shift with blood streaming down his face; someone had left a long rake the wrong way up and my grandfather stepped on it in the gloom. It shot up and broke his nose but he had to keep working on to the end of his shift as he didn't want to have his pay docked by leaving early. My father also remembers being a child-in-arms and his dad standing in front of the open furnace doors, silhouetted in the glow and waving to him at bedtime. My father also remembers Fridays, when women would queue up at the gates, waiting for their men to clock off and hand over their pay packets so the women could go and buy in some food for the weekend.

My grandfather worked at Brown Bayleys pre-1935, I think as a furnaceman. My father remembers him coming home at the end of a shift with blood streaming down his face; someone had left a long rake the wrong way up and my grandfather stepped on it in the gloom. It shot up and broke his nose but he had to keep working on to the end of his shift as he didn't want to have his pay docked by leaving early. My father also remembers being a child-in-arms and his dad standing in front of the open furnace doors, silhouetted in the glow and waving to him at bedtime. My father also remembers Fridays, when women would queue up at the gates, waiting for their men to clock off and hand over their pay packets so the women could go and buy in some food for the weekend.

They probably took the wage packets before the pubs did !!!!

Does anyone know anything about Doris Hartley / Holt - she used to work at Brown Bayleys.

It'd be GREAT to hear about people she worked with / photos etc - as she is / was my Grandmother.

Sincerely

James Monroe

Does anyone know anything about Doris Hartley / Holt - she used to work at Brown Bayleys.

It'd be GREAT to hear about people she worked with / photos etc - as she is / was my Grandmother.

Sincerely

James Monroe

What department did she work in as there were about 3-4000 people working there at the same time.Photos of Brown Bayleys are sadly few and far between.

My dad worked at Brown Baileys and used to go fishing at their angling lake somewhere out in the sticks. My gran worked in the baths across the road from Brown Baileys. My dad passed away a few years ago so I can't really help - sorry.

My dad worked at Brown Baileys and used to go fishing at their angling lake somewhere out in the sticks. My gran worked in the baths across the road from Brown Baileys. My dad passed away a few years ago so I can't really help - sorry.

The fishing pond was at the left hand side of the A57 just before you enter Worksop just after South Anston.It always used to amaze me how people who struggled to get to work for 07.30 could get up at 04.00 to go fishing.

andy

mr kelford got me a job at bayleys if you came off shiregreen he wanted you to get on

:D

My father Leonard Theaker worked at Brown Bayleys until a few weeks before his death in 1967 when I was 16. I always remember him coming back every Friday night with bars of chocolate such as Tiffin and Frys 5 boys

I remember Harry Kelford and met him a number of times when he used to organize the "reunions" at Davy's Sport's Ground on Prince of Wales Road. A real gentlemen. I think he organized them - until his death a few years ago (may be more than a few now). I worked in the Chemi Lab from 1960 to 65 and then returned when Hadfield's took over, working on production control with the Arc Furnace shops.

does any 1 remember geoeffery cutts working at bb