Working at Brown Baileys

Generations of our family worked there ........ Great Grandad - Harry Cheetham, Grandad - Harry Towers, Dad - Keith Towers & uncles (twins) Mick & Terry Towers ......... think the twins were moulders & my Dad a crane driver, not sure about Grandad & G.Grandad ........

I was an apprentice at Brown Baileys in 1969 when the South Yorkshire police had an arms amnesty and all the guns that were handed in were sold to the firm to be melted down for scrap. There were more guns came out of that factory than Afghanistan, we had a Bren gun on top of the lockers for ages. I took home four German Lugers and eventually sold em for a fiver each. :hihi: I also used to spend most of my time making stainless steel throwing knives and daggers that I sold to a bloke in the market.

my dad geoffery cutts was a shop steward and was head of the union does any 1 remember him

served my apprenticeship as a fitter between 1970 ,1975 lost my papers anybody know how to get a copy

Iworked at BB from leaving school in 1971 till being made redundant in 1981.

I served my electrical apprernticeship and remember many of the names mentioned, I personally knew Alan Thornton, Pat Maloney and Harry Kelford.

Pat could be a right pain at times but would always support you if you were in the right.

Some other names from the same era were Dave Mann,Bill Kitson, Graham Valentine,Alan Pigott,Gary Owen,Ghulam Gauss,Malc Stewart,George Commander,Eric Kehoe all Electricians or tricians mates.

Does anyone remember my Grandmother who used to work in the canteen - She was in her 40's in the 1970's and her name was Doris Holt ( known as Dot ) - a very jolly - game for a laugh lady and well built woman with black hair ( a typical northern woman ).

Any info like her friends or stories would be GREAT as it'll kinda bring her back to life as she died in the late 1970's.

Iworked at BB from leaving school in 1971 till being made redundant in 1981.

I served my electrical apprernticeship and remember many of the names mentioned, I personally knew Alan Thornton, Pat Maloney and Harry Kelford.

Pat could be a right pain at times but would always support you if you were in the right.

Some other names from the same era were Dave Mann,Bill Kitson, Graham Valentine,Alan Pigott,Gary Owen,Ghulam Gauss,Malc Stewart,George Commander,Eric Kehoe all Electricians or tricians mates.

served my apprenticeship with dave, bill ,and graham also mick bell,brian pollard,john searle,

It was Brown-Bayley, not Brown-Bailey's!

I remember it closing down in 1981 and Ghost Town by the Specials was No 1 later that summer, so apt to what Sheffield was going through.

Edited by wednesday1

Generations of our family worked there ........ Great Grandad - Harry Cheetham, Grandad - Harry Towers, Dad - Keith Towers & uncles (twins) Mick & Terry Towers ......... think the twins were moulders & my Dad a crane driver, not sure about Grandad & G.Grandad ........

my dad worked there in the 60 he was in the then cricket team with names like stan nickols and geff beadem and others who s name escape me but i do remember when i was young and saturday was a family day out and the local ground was at the top of high hazels park how they played cricket after that climb i will never know but had wonderful times as a child watching but nowadaysi can t get any interest in the game at all but fun days my dad name was harold aldersoni cant remember when he left but he died in the mid sixties j

My uncle was the groundsman up at the sports club. Les Hearnshaw....always had his dog with him West Highland Terrier called Sue. I remember the haul up that hill if I ever went with him to work.

Weren't the head quarters of Brown-Bayley somewhere at Ranmoor?

my dad worked there in the 60 he was in the then cricket team with names like stan nickols and geff beadem and others who s name escape me but i do remember when i was young and saturday was a family day out and the local ground was at the top of high hazels park how they played cricket after that climb i will never know but had wonderful times as a child watching but nowadaysi can t get any interest in the game at all but fun days my dad name was harold aldersoni cant remember when he left but he died in the mid sixties j

Hi cleegirl - Any relation to Paul (Oscar) Alderson? Can remember Paul saying his dad used to play cricket at High Hazels ..............

Edited by lynblu