Working at Brown Baileys

my dad used to be a slinger he put the bars onto the cranes for the cranes to move so your dad may have worked with my dad, my dad no longer here now, he worked there from the late 50s to 1981 when he was made redundant

Highly possible. My dads not around any more either, you lose so much once the living become the departed, you never quite realise what great reference points each of us is to the other until the references are lost.

Hi I started wokin at BB in 1968 when I was 15, to me then It was a huge factory that couldn't even be covered if you walked round it for a week. I got the choice of starting in one of twelve departments and I chose the tyre shop that rolled train tyres very hot and terrible conditions my wage was £3.6shillings and two pence in old money I used to get double that amount tips off the men I worked with doing errands for them. I only stuck it for 6 weeks then I left and got a job in the rolling mills at neepsend sadly my school pal who started BB with me died when he was 21 of a heart attack.

hiya guys and gals, theres another post on this (firth browns)

Hi Pat

Sorry I've been so long in replying. I do rember Mr Kelsey Personnel Manager. I started working for Brown Bayleys as his junior round about 1966. I am seeing Alan Thornton

tonight as my sister has come home from Canada (first time since 1973) so we are going for a drink. I mention him to you. Keep in touch.

Hi Biker

Sorry for the delay in replying. Mr dad was Arthur Smith and my brother-in-law is called Alan Thornton.

Hi Biker

Sorry for the delay in replying. Mr dad was Arthur Smith and my brother-in-law is called Alan Thornton.

Arthur was a father figure to lots of apprentices for years as we all started with him straight from school.I remember being on the pouring platform under the Birlec Arc furnace when they recharged it with steel that had water in the cylinder.A big ball of flame shot up to the roof.I dived into the foundations and Arthur outran it.He could really move!! A good man who taught us all a great deal.Alan and his mate Tony were always good to talk to when we went to mash our tea in the urn in the far bay until their chargehand had a wall built to stop us taking a short cut.Not a popular person.

My dad was employed by Brown Bayleys for 44 years. He worked in several departments over the years. Sadly the working conditions, in those days, affected his health and he had to take early retirement.

My brother still has the clock that Brown Bayleys gave dad when he retired in the late 1970's.

my father and brother worked ther in the war years my dad was a furniceman

harry woollen my btother was a crane driver fell down the ladders one day

had time of work for that he got two weeks in stangways manchester

that what you got for having time of work now thy pay them

Hiya Teabag, I know that it's a long time ago since you first started this thread, but if I can help you anymore please let me know. I worked at Brown Bayleys from 1966 to 1980. My dad and two uncles also worked there for many years.

Hiya Teabag, I know that it's a long time ago since you first started this thread, but if I can help you anymore please let me know. I worked at Brown Bayleys from 1966 to 1980. My dad and two uncles also worked there for many years.

Does anybody have any pictures of Brown Bayleys as I would be grateful if anybody would send them to [email protected]

Oh i would love to see pictures also x

There are some on here........... Library services-Picture sheffield.com

just type where u want to see x

Oh i would love to see pictures also x

There are some on here........... Library services-Picture sheffield.com

just type where u want to see x

Thanks for the link.The White Hart pub is still there.How it survived the building of the Don Valley stadium is a mystery to me.Its not a pub now.

I'd be interested to know if any of the older end remember my uncle, Harry Kelford. He was a lovely bloke, apart from his job at Brown Bayleys ( I think he was involved in personnel or something to do with apprentices ??) he was scoutmaster at Lane Top ( known as ' skip' or 'skipper').