Are there people in Britain who are starving?

I was listening to BBC 5Live over the weekend, Stephen Nolan's programme around 10pm-12pm and the issue was about people in Britain who were starving, Edwina Currie said she didn't believe it as there were benefits available for those in need, and the following night Charlie Wolfe was on and he backed her up, however Bishop Lowe disagreed and said his church had programmes to help those in need.

Are there people who are literally starving or is that an exaggeration?

Bishop Lowe http://uk.ask.com/wiki/Stephen_Lowe_(bishop)

Edited by cressida

Yes there must be starving people somewhere in this country.

The exaggeration is probably in how many and why.

Generally there is no reason not to go without food unless you are physically or mentally incapable.

Tesco bins are full of food.

I worked at a food factory a few years back, everyday they would queue for work outside, (A8 and A2 nationals that is). They had no social safety net. Work or starve. These workers were going hungry. One shift would feed them, 2 shifts would feed and house them. They weren't always that lucky.

I turned a blind eye to people stealing food to give to their fellow workers.

Welcome to the UK. The youth have it good now? No?

It was on the news the other day that charities have set up food banks in various places round the country for people with no money. They can get a carrier bag of food for free to stop them starving. This is Britain in the 21st century, and the government should be ashamed.

In spite of the media continually trying to make us think that benefit recipients are living the high life, this is the reality. There are more homeless living on the street, more children living in poverty, and I suspect there will be more old people dying of hyperthermia this winter, especially if it's a hard one.

Meanwhile the bankers continue to trouser billions, and the people at the top, and those in power still have their corrupt little snouts in the trough and are doing very nicely thankyou. But we're all in this together don't forget...

There probably are people starving, in spite of the fact that all people* in the country have an absolute guarantee of enough money to buy food; just as there are people homeless despite the number of vacancies in hostels.

* Asylum seekers excepted, who cannot earn any money but must subsist on food vouchers.

and I suspect there will be more old people dying of hyperthermia this winter, especially if it's a hard one.

that is my biggest worry this winter, the amount of people who simply can't afford to keep their houses heated to a safe level, let alone a comfortable one is shocking :(

Edited by sibon

that is my biggest worry this winter, the amount of people who simply can't afford to keep their houses heated to a safe level, let alone a comfortable one is shocking :(

Well, rest assured that no old people will be among them. Anyone over sixty gets a whopping £250 paid to them specifically for covering their fuel bill in winter.

Well, rest assured that no old people will be among them. Anyone over sixty gets a whopping £250 paid to them specifically for covering their fuel bill in winter.

That would pay my annual water, gas and 50% of my electricity bill!

They also get an extra £25 every week it's forecast/is below 0C.

I worked at a food factory a few years back, everyday they would queue for work outside, (A8 and A2 nationals that is). They had no social safety net. Work or starve. These workers were going hungry. One shift would feed them, 2 shifts would feed and house them. They weren't always that lucky.

I turned a blind eye to people stealing food to give to their fellow workers.

Welcome to the UK. The youth have it good now? No?

People who have travelled several thousand miles to live in this "poverty" in the UK courtesy of EU rules.

Remove the rules allowing them to come here, then they can be happy and well fed back in their own countries.

That would cover one month for me.

Mind you, I'd get twenty quid change from that. So I wouldn't freeze until December.