Park Patrols on Motorcycles

blue11265

• 2 years later...

I remember them well in Hollinsend park,as Gleadless infants school had two prefab class rooms in the parkwe got to know them and the park keeper well. I lived just up the road from the park on Ridgeway road and the park keepers house was just a few doors from ours plus my dad played bowls in the park so if i got up to anything my parents knew about it before i got home.

yes we did get up to mischive but nothing like the kids get up to today,getting shouted at by the parky put the fear of God up us and we were off,we sort of gave him and other people respect. if we were in the park just before dusk the wardens would come round on their bikes and we would run and hide but they always managed to find us,then we would run off before we would get locked in. Its heard to believe that kids at infant school would be aloud to be in the park till dusk.

i remember going maggot drowning in graves park after school,you wernt allowed to fish the boating lake but it was the only place that had any fish in it........when we'd hear the parkies bike comming we'd hide in the bushes till he'd gone,one night i got talking to this kid....i says to him we'll have to get out of the way in a bit the big fat parkie will be here,i know he says,i goes......can't stand the big fat big headed get......the lad says ..he's my dad..ooops:blush: :blush: :blush:

was that with clint froggatt ,geof hurt etc ? i used to go there every night after school , some of the roach were massive in those days . is you first name mick ?.

• 9 years later...

I have just bought an Armstrong MT560 motorcycle which dates back to the mid-1980's. Someone has suggested that the VIN number indicates it was one of a number of these off-road bikes bought by the Sheffield Parks Dept at about that time. It would have been painted white and has metal pannier racks on the back.

I would love to hear from anyone who has more info on these particular bikes. I assume they were used to chase illegal motorbikes in the inner city parks rather than up on the moors?

I have just bought an Armstrong MT560 motorcycle which dates back to the mid-1980's. Someone has suggested that the VIN number indicates it was one of a number of these off-road bikes bought by the Sheffield Parks Dept at about that time. It would have been painted white and has metal pannier racks on the back.

I would love to hear from anyone who has more info on these particular bikes. I assume they were used to chase illegal motorbikes in the inner city parks rather than up on the moors?

Have a look at this forum.

Their 500's sound like the same type of bike

https://www.mtridersclub.co.uk/

Type vin numbers into the search box

Edited by Dun graftin

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I've now found out that my Armstrong MT560 was not one of the bikes used by the Sheffield Park Dept, unfortunately! Someone from the Dept confirmed my reg number was not one of theirs and, in any case, they used the Armstrong MT500 rather than my slightly larger engine version.

I know Sheffield very well but I don't live there, but I would have been very happy to find out my bike was originally used to chase young scallywags on motx bikes around the city parks!

This post has reminded me of a strange incident from the past.

(pretty boring outcome but it's all in the journey)

Early in the 1970’s (73/74?), a hot summer. One Sunday afternoon after the pubs had shut for dinner, a large(ish) group of lads went up from Darnall to play cricket on one of the marked and trimmed pitches on Acres Hill.

A good and proper game was being played. ie no hooliganism, rowdiness or poor behaviour of any sorts (unusual I know). We were out of sight and well away from any dwellings.

Our game was rudely disturbed by a well organised invasion of mounted Parkies.

I guess there must have been up to a dozen of them approaching over the brow of the hill coming from the Prince Of Wales Road end of the playing fields.

They were line abreast about 10 feet apart with one guy leading out front.

I was like an attack scene from a Spaghetti Western or Zulu.

The lead rider rode onto the pitch and did an OTT stop by skidding his back wheel 90 deg in front of the batters crease.

Needless to say we were all slightly taken aback.

The appointed Reff made a “move to the right” gesture to indicate that the stumps were not visible. (Rather quick witted that lad)

Someone asked “Erm, what O’tha dooin” or words to that effect.

The mounted Parkie Captain says. “There’s a drought you’re damaging the wicket”.

“Wot like riding a motorbike over it is OK then” was the spontaneous choral response.

“Geroff the pitch it’s not for you” was my recollection of his reply.

“Can we play there then” our spokesman said, pointing a few yards away from the neatly mown pitch area.

The testosterone fuelled Parkie says “…..yes ….ok”

So without question we up sticks, moved off the green and waved the posse by-by as they melted away with their tails between their legs.

If it was a scene from Zulu at least they would have been chanting a song of respect. But no.

I think they just wanted a nice ride out on a sunny Sunday.

Thinking back I can’t fault them really.

The incident left a lasting impression about our gallant Park Patrol and it was the main topic of conversation for at least Oh? 10 minutes.