Confused about school starting for my little girl..

im so glad someone has done this thread as i keep worrying that im leaving it too late to get my eldest in a school for when he is 4, he will be 3 this xmas when will we get application form for reception for him?

Next October (2012) you can apply for school place for him...loads of time!! (although will soon fly, as I have found)

Some schools only have a September intake now, my cousin has this problem with her little one

the way i understand it yes, same as mine.

I'm same as both as you DS is 4 in Dec.

Still on the subject of school - has anyone got any info regarding catchment areas?? We're in S9 - Wincobank but i would prefer/like for my son to go to either Hillsbro or Rivelin as my mum is in Hillsbro and will be collecting him from work due to me working. Tried calling the council education but constantly engaged xxx

I'm same as both as you DS is 4 in Dec.

Still on the subject of school - has anyone got any info regarding catchment areas?? We're in S9 - Wincobank but i would prefer/like for my son to go to either Hillsbro or Rivelin as my mum is in Hillsbro and will be collecting him from work due to me working. Tried calling the council education but constantly engaged xxx

Fron the Sheffield CC website:

General Information about Expressing a Preference

You may express a preference for any school you wish even if it is not your catchment school. However, you have a higher right of admission for your catchment area school. We cannot guarantee admission to any school even the catchment school.

Primary School Admissions (Reception - Y6)

Telephone: (0114) 273 5766

Fax: (0114) 273 4155

Email: [email protected]

are the forms automatically sent out by council?

Yes but l would contact the council if I hadn't received one within a couple of weeks of them sending them out.

We live in Dronfield which is Derbyshire so we don't get the choice at the moment. My son was 4 in April and starts full time tomorrow (aaaah!). Most of my friends in Sheffield have chosen for thier child to start full time in Sep too. I think it's the best way so that they get to be with the other kids from day one.

My daughter is 2 in October and will be nearly 5 when she starts school. I'm not too worried about it as she will get plenty of nursery education (5 terms) where as my son only got 3 terms. We planned her to be one of the older ones as we didn't want her to be one of the youngest. There has to be a cut off somewhere. My son's friend will not go up to reception with him because he isn't 4 until tomorrow.

Hope all the kiddies who have just started have got on well. I'm going to miss ds when he goes tomorrow.

It is madness, the twingles started in September 2010 and turned five 7 weeks later, but last week we were at a 5th birthday party of one of their classmates who started on the same day (we don't get the same January option where we live). Of course by now, we're only a few weeks from them turning six.

And my partners daughter just turned four 3 weeks ago but began school today, she seems far too young!

My youngest, who was three months early, turned four in June, she started school last monday. Had she have come on time, she would have only just been having her birthday this weekend, so wouldnt have started school till next year. We had the option to wait until her corrected year, leave it until Jan12 or stars this sept, we decided that sept was the best option as, although she is one of the youngest and does have global development delay she could still benefit from a full year in reception.

When my older daughter started schol, the old rules still applied, her birthday is feb so she just go into the sept intake, I was so glad as they children who started in Jan took so much longer to catch up, not just in academics but in settling, friendships etc.

I personally think that we have been given too much choice now, what with been able to send them part or full time too. in my opinion all children should start full time in september in the academic year that they will turn 5. No matter when the school year starts, you are always going to have children who have their birthday first and are the oldest and those that have to wait till the end and are the youngest.

we never recieved our daughters form, so it is possibly better to chase it up if you would prefer to do paper copy. we just did it online, its much easier

we never recieved our daughters form, so it is possibly better to chase it up if you would prefer to do paper copy. we just did it online, its much easier

i think ill do it online will be much easier, can that be done anytime or when its time for them to go to school?