Confused about school starting for my little girl..

DeViL_WoMaN

My daughter started this morning she is 5 in October so was ready for school one of her friends is 5 on Saturday and another who started today was only 4 2 weeks ago.

It is sometimes difficult to get your head round but there has to be a cut off point somewhere and some kids will always miss out by days. If you think about it you could get twins with different birth dates (born round midnight) who could technically be in different school years.

With regards to starting wait until you get your application pack it explains all in there - it has all changed now to give parents more say on when they feel their child should start school. You can opt for Sept or Jan part time or full time I think as reception is optional eduction isn't compulsory until the September after their 5th birthday which is Y1.

im so glad someone has done this thread as i keep worrying that im leaving it too late to get my eldest in a school for when he is 4, he will be 3 this xmas when will we get application form for reception for him?

Next October (2012) you can apply for school place for him...loads of time!! (although will soon fly, as I have found)

the way i understand it yes, same as mine.

I'm same as both as you DS is 4 in Dec.

Still on the subject of school - has anyone got any info regarding catchment areas?? We're in S9 - Wincobank but i would prefer/like for my son to go to either Hillsbro or Rivelin as my mum is in Hillsbro and will be collecting him from work due to me working. Tried calling the council education but constantly engaged xxx

I'm same as both as you DS is 4 in Dec.

Still on the subject of school - has anyone got any info regarding catchment areas?? We're in S9 - Wincobank but i would prefer/like for my son to go to either Hillsbro or Rivelin as my mum is in Hillsbro and will be collecting him from work due to me working. Tried calling the council education but constantly engaged xxx

Fron the Sheffield CC website:

General Information about Expressing a Preference

You may express a preference for any school you wish even if it is not your catchment school. However, you have a higher right of admission for your catchment area school. We cannot guarantee admission to any school even the catchment school.

Primary School Admissions (Reception - Y6)

Telephone: (0114) 273 5766

Fax: (0114) 273 4155

Email: ed-admissions@sheffield.gov.uk