Negotiating the price of a second hand car

I was pretty impressed with Direct Cars when I went to look a few years ago. Good selection of cars, they just gave me a few sets of keys so I could go over the cars and their prices were about right. Didn't go any further though so no idea what their part ex. offers are like.

Re. cash etc.. you will not get any better a deal with paying cash. Its of no advantage for the dealer. Finance is better for them. If you want to pay cash then put the money in your bank account and pay by switch, no charge. Make sure you warn your bank beforehand.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dealers were charged to bank cash

There are now rules in to try and catch money launderers, so large cash sums are frowned upon.

Lots of car supermarket operations won't allow test drives, they feel it wastes their time as most 'test pilots' don't buy (in their opinion). Poor way to qualify sales though IMHO.

Also watch out for the molten lava hot coffee (hottest coffee in the world can be found in a motor dealers'.

PS I spent 10 years in the trade, working for lots of different franchises, from Ford to RR.

It was a while ago and Switch cards had a limit back then, so to avoid a credit card fee I had to pay cash. They must have wondered who I was as I look pretty scruffy and was visiting the car dealers in the middle of the week.

What's the deal with the extra hot coffee?

It was a while ago and Switch cards had a limit back then, so to avoid a credit card fee I had to pay cash. They must have wondered who I was as I look pretty scruffy and was visiting the car dealers in the middle of the week.

What's the deal with the extra hot coffee?

Once had a chap pay a deposit on a RR in cash, over £40K; you wouldn't think it to look at him though. Should never judge a book by the cover, although shoes and watches are usually good indicators...

As for the coffee, simple really; the hotter it is the longer they can keep you in the showroom, the more time they get to convince you that you need the car. Same reason they take your p/x keys from you and then spout the guff that the valuer hasn't had chance to look at it yet.

I wanted to pay for my new car in full, but didn't want to carry large sums around with me, so I paid on the credit card, got 1% cashback, and paid the bill in full when it came!

You cant pay more then £7000 for a car due to the money laundry act

Its a big inconvenience to them, that's why they prefer cards or finance.

To be honest the only inconvenience is if they take the cash to the bank themselves; it may change the number of people they have to send to the bank for insurance purposes. They usually have to go to the bank anyway as they bank the money taken in the service / parts / forecourt.

That's if they don't have a daily security pick up arranged.

The advantage of finance is that they get paid to sell it, and make a great deal of money from arranging it. Most don't like credit cards as they get charged by the bank for taking them; hence they usually pass the charge onto the customer (only usually for car sales though, not parts / servicing).