Living near Sheffield

-Dan-

Nothing out of the ordinary, I myself was worried the other night thinking it might kick off, but no, nothing to get concerned about. A chap got shot in the leg the day before yesterday but that was a private vendetta. We do have a singing woman in the city centre though.

haha. Isn't that just a typical saturday night with people singing in the city centre ;)

well with riots going on everywhere you don't really hear all of them now, it's only the worst cases that hit the news. Im assuming from that comment that there was no trouble in Sheffield?

I seem to recall that Sheffield was riot-free in the early 80s as well. I don't know what that tells you about the Sheffielders' collective temperament, but living where riots don't happen can hardly be a bad thing.

There are some nice places to live right on the edges of Sheffield, such as Oughtibridge where you are practically in the countryside, but still only 25-30 mins drive from the centre, and with regular bus services.

How about this house for instance that I found on Rightmove?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30473755.html

Or this one that is in a lovely position

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29687740.html?premiumA=true

what places would you recomend in/close to sheffield to take a look at that have a bit of country surrounding them?

Bradfield is really pretty and has a very rural feel with views over open countryside but is actually within the city of Sheffield, I'm not sure if prices there would suit though. Somewhat further out but still within a reasonable commute, you might want to take a look at Thurlstone.

Public transport from the Hope Valley to sheffield isn't too bad in the summer, a lot better to Sheffield than it is to places like Buxton / chesterfield / Bakewell. That said in winter the buses are hit and miss, sometimes they turn up other times they can't be bothered. You really do need the use of a car out here in winter months. I wouldn't advise moving to Buxton, it's the chav capital of the Peak.

Hathersage looked like 200k + when i looked, but there was some nice places in bakewell starting from 140k +. but like daniel said, if there's no train service from there then this could cause a problem :(

What would you say the best places near to sheffield are to live? with nice scenary (hills) and with a train direct to sheffield within the price range of 120-150k?

and what places am i best to avoid?

Your budget is going to be the tricky bit.

Looking at the map, the SW of Sheffield, generally speaking, before I get flamed, is considered to be the "affluent" bit. This does not mean that there aren't other areas which don't fall into the SW which are nice. The SW does also contain a couple of not so nice bits.

Quite a bit of Sheffield falls within the Peaks.

The suburbs of Bradway, Totley, Beauchief, Millhouses, Lodge Moor, Whirlow and Dore are, in no particular order, nice areas. The railway also runs along the bottom of Bradway, Totley and Dore, with a station opposite the bottom of Dore Road. It takes about 6 minutes into the city centre from there.

You may be able to find a flat for your budget, or maybe a small ex-local authority house (there is a council estate in Totley). But it's not going to be easy.

EDIT: You can find a house for your budget without too much of a struggle, in a reasonable area, but you may have to sacrifice bits of your wish list.

One advantage of Sheffield being very hilly, is that even some of the more inexpensive areas often come with spectacular views!

Edited by perplexed
added a bit...

Looking at Sheffield on a map a rule of thumb is the portion between the A57 and A621 (7-9 o'clock) right from the centre to the peaks contains the most expensive and in theory therefore the best areas. Stick to post codes S10, S11 and S17 and you cant go far wrong. However, you'll be looking at a flat in the best parts or at best an old terraced house in the less better for your budget of 140k

If your going to rent first, for a nice green area, close to open countryside and still close to a bit of life I'd recommend Ranmoor / Fulwood / Endcliffe / Ecclesall, and you'll never be more than a 10min drive to the countryside

Hi Dan,

Happy to hear you're considering moving to our area. Your budget won't get you very much in the Peak District though, especially in the tourist / commuter hotspots (Bakewell, Hope Valley). South West of the city (Ecclesall, Dore, Totley) is also comparitively pricey.

All is not lost though. Hennypenny has made a good suggestion. The area to the North West of the city, although being right on the doorstep to the Peak, is not really regarded as such a touristy area. It has fab walking, some lovely scenery, hills, reservoirs. Transport into the city is very good. Whancliffe Side, Oughtibridge and Deepcar could fit your remit.

Best of luck.