Living near Sheffield

-Dan-

What are the job oppurtunities like in Sheffield? (I know it's bad everywhere, but compared to other places) - depends what you want to do.

- Is it hard to travel during the winter from/to Sheffield from the peak district. e.g do alot of roads get closed because of the snow (i.e bakewell or buxton)- If it snows which it usually does in the Peaks you'll have some problems but probably only for a few days in a year.

- How bad is the traffic around sheffield city centre? (in rush hour how long would it take to travel from bakewell/buxton?)- Bakewell prob 20mins to edge of city then 40mins to city centre in rush hour. Longer for Buxton- you'd be better off working in Manchester!-

What is Sheffield like in general... safe or violent? dirty or clean, grafitti etc?

Quite safe for a city. As you'll only be seeing the west side travelling in from the peaks its also pretty clean and nice.

Transport wise, look at the map and locate the villages which are on the Sheffield-Manchester railway line, which has frequent trains....

I wouldn't call that line frequent as a lot of trains don't stop till Stockport. I went walking round Hathersage and Grindleford last week and there was only one train every two hours that stopped there except at rush hour times and even then it was only one an hour. There are buses straight into Sheffield from there but they take a lot longer. Trains from Hathersage and Grindleford take 15/20 minutes but you'd have to time it if you commuted. Lovely area to live though.

It's a relatively safe city, but it's definitely not clean or nice looking. Driving on the roads is like driving on the surface of the moon, the city centre is a dump, most areas are dumps, even the so called nice areas are dumps. The people do tend to be friendly though.

If you move to bakewell you should be able to get pub work easy and then you wouldn't have to go into sheffield much?

Pub work would probably be a last resort, but thought getting work in bakewell and similair places would be next to near impossible with it being so small?

Sheffield is generally considered to have a comparatively low crime rate. Yes, there is crime like anywhere else, but pro rata it's usually lower, and it tends to happen in pockets in various places.

The city centre traffic can be very busy, and complaining about it is almost the city's sport. But the reality is, it's no worse than anywhere else. I drive a lot, but often cycle into town. Even at "rush hour" I get get the 5 miles or so into the city from my house in 15 minutes, maybe a bit more on my bike.

There is a tram system (albeit limited).

If you want to go to the Peaks, then you'll have picked a fantastic place to live. Transport wise, look at the map and locate the villages which are on the Sheffield-Manchester railway line, which has frequent trains, which should get you round the snow problem. Places such as Hathersage, Grindleford, Hope, Edale etc.

Good luck!

Thanks, i'll try and look in to the places easily accessable by train. i think on the aa route mapper it said about 30 mins from bakewell to sheffield, but im guessing its realisticly atleast double that with rush hour traffic?

Sheffield was just about totally cut off last December for a week, but that was because of the heaviest fall of snow I can ever remember seeing in a single day. (Even in 1947 it took more than one day to come down!)

Under all but the most freakish winter conditions, and assuming you are on the above mentioned train line, you're never likely to be unable to reach Sheffield for more than the occasional day. If you want to live in a remote village - well obviously that has its plus points, but the big negative point is the very fact that it's remote and you might get cut off.

I expected it to be alot worse to be honoust! if i didn't live so closed to my work. I think there would have been about 5-10 days last year where id have been cut off as well and thats living near london where the snow didn't hit so bad! maybe its coped with better up north! how about if i wasn't to take the train and drive tho? would i be shut off for several weeks? Im guessing alot of those windy roads get closed between sheffield and the peaks?

Dan

Our City is one of the safest Cities. I have many friends who came to Sheffield from down south and love it and wouldn't go back.

I was down at the Job Centre this week with a client and there was locally 1500 jobs of varying levels.

Thats reassuring :)

thanks for all the replies. and to the comment about travelling to Manchester. Id prefer to work in sheffield if possible. I could be completely wrong as i've never been there, but from where i live Manchester has always been portrayed as a really rough area, probably no better than some of the bad places in london?

I wouldn't call that line frequent as a lot of trains don't stop till Stockport. I went walking round Hathersage and Grindleford last week and there was only one train every two hours that stopped there except at rush hour times and even then it was only one an hour. There are buses straight into Sheffield from there but they take a lot longer. Trains from Hathersage and Grindleford take 15/20 minutes but you'd have to time it if you commuted. Lovely area to live though.

Are there any places in the peaks that have frequent trains travelling to sheffield? (say every 15-20 minutes)? Also how many stations are there in sheffield? is it easy to get buses from the city centre etc?

Edited by -Dan-

How much are you looking to spend on your home and what sort of salary are you hoping for?

Sheffield also has some really nice areas on the borders of the peaks and these can be a bit cheaper than living in the Peak District's nicest spots... Also outside of Sheffield anywhere along the Hope Valley Railway will set you back a pretty penny but lots of nice cheaper properties in Buxton and the likes of New Mills (direct trains to Sheffield and Manchester) and Glossop.

If you've equity from London prices you may be able to get a lovely place up here though. Check rightmove

As for car travel you should be OK for all but a few days a year. They grit the main roads so unless we have unprecedented weather like last year it shouldn't be a matter of missing more than a few days at the worst of the weather!

Bakewell would be driveable to Sheffield but Buxton sounds like a bit of a mission. Anywhere over that side of the Peaks might be worse in the weather, and those places (Buxton, Glossop etc) are really more orientated towards Manchester then Sheffield.

As for the city itself. Well it has some very nice parts and some grotty parts in need of redevelopment. The 90's/00's redevelopment bug did result in some redevelopment of the city centre but not as much as Leeds and Manchester. Personally I think Sheffield is lovely and has great nightlife and culture (particularly music). Also areas like Eccleshall Road have lots of cafes and boutiques and are a bit like an Islington type area (but much cheaper!)...

If you do really want to move to Buxton though don't write off working in Manchester. It's a far bigger city than Sheffield and has a lot more jobs. The city centre has been extensively redeveloped and it has good train links to Buxton, Glossop etc. Yes it has some rough areas but if you're communiting in to the city centre or south manchester (where a lot of offices are too) then you won't really ever enter those.

It's a relatively safe city, but it's definitely not clean or nice looking. Driving on the roads is like driving on the surface of the moon, the city centre is a dump, most areas are dumps, even the so called nice areas are dumps. The people do tend to be friendly though.

sweeping ill informed statements are as useful as a chocolate fireguard

How much are you looking to spend on your home and what sort of salary are you hoping for?

Sheffield also has some really nice areas on the borders of the peaks and these can be a bit cheaper than living in the Peak District's nicest spots... Also outside of Sheffield anywhere along the Hope Valley Railway will set you back a pretty penny but lots of nice cheaper properties in Buxton and the likes of New Mills (direct trains to Sheffield and Manchester) and Glossop.

If you've equity from London prices you may be able to get a lovely place up here though. Check rightmove

As for car travel you should be OK for all but a few days a year. They grit the main roads so unless we have unprecedented weather like last year it shouldn't be a matter of missing more than a few days at the worst of the weather!

Bakewell would be driveable to Sheffield but Buxton sounds like a bit of a mission. Anywhere over that side of the Peaks might be worse in the weather, and those places (Buxton, Glossop etc) are really more orientated towards Manchester then Sheffield.

As for the city itself. Well it has some very nice parts and some grotty parts in need of redevelopment. The 90's/00's redevelopment bug did result in some redevelopment of the city centre but not as much as Leeds and Manchester. Personally I think Sheffield is lovely and has great nightlife and culture (particularly music). Also areas like Eccleshall Road have lots of cafes and boutiques and are a bit like an Islington type area (but much cheaper!)...

If you do really want to move to Buxton though don't write off working in Manchester. It's a far bigger city than Sheffield and has a lot more jobs. The city centre has been extensively redeveloped and it has good train links to Buxton, Glossop etc. Yes it has some rough areas but if you're communiting in to the city centre or south manchester (where a lot of offices are too) then you won't really ever enter those.

I was thinking about 120-150k and earning between 2 ppl about 30-35k (let me know if this sounds unrealistic as it is a 1st time buy). Really had my heart set on bakewell more than buxton, but it just depends on costs really. Is it easy to commute to sheffield from bakewell or are the trains only every few hours like someone posted earlier about hathersage?