Living near Sheffield

it's definitely not clean or nice looking. Driving on the roads is like driving on the surface of the moon, the city centre is a dump, most areas are dumps, even the so called nice areas are dumps. The people do tend to be friendly though.

The tourist board might be headhunting you if you carry on like this. ;)

The tourist board might be headhunting you if you carry on like this. ;)

Just telling it how I personally see it. :hihi:

As much as I think Sheffield is quite run down, I would prefer to live here than many other nicer looking places. It's not all about looks. I can't think of a friendlier place that I have ever been to.

Sheffield residents are better qualified than I to comment but I remember looking at housing prices in Hathersage, Bakewell etc a couple of years back - purely for interest. I didn't see anything in the price range you've cited.

Hathersage looked like 200k + when i looked, but there was some nice places in bakewell starting from 140k +. but like daniel said, if there's no train service from there then this could cause a problem :(

What would you say the best places near to sheffield are to live? with nice scenary (hills) and with a train direct to sheffield within the price range of 120-150k?

and what places am i best to avoid?

Hi all,

Thinking of relocating to the peak district and got a few questions about the area and travelling to Sheffield:

- What are the job oppurtunities like in Sheffield? (I know it's bad everywhere, but compared to other places)

- Is it hard to travel during the winter from/to Sheffield from the peak district. e.g do alot of roads get closed because of the snow (i.e bakewell or buxton)

- How bad is the traffic around sheffield city centre? (in rush hour how long would it take to travel from bakewell/buxton?)

- What is Sheffield like in general... safe or violent? dirty or clean, grafitti etc?

Thanks

what is sheffield like in general.. safe or violent dirty or clean grafitti ect

its the same as any other city. and as for traveling into city from the peak district in winter a would say it will be hard when/if it snows

It's not all about looks. I can't think of a friendlier place that I have ever been to.

Gee oor. You won't stand up for people on the bus. ;)

Gee oor. You won't stand up for people on the bus. ;)

Other people are friendly, I'm not claiming I am. ;)

Hathersage looked like 200k + when i looked, but there was some nice places in bakewell starting from 140k +. but like daniel said, if there's no train service from there then this could cause a problem :(

What would you say the best places near to sheffield are to live? with nice scenary (hills) and with a train direct to sheffield within the price range of 120-150k?

and what places am i best to avoid?

Sheffield doesn't have much of a rail network (compared to Leeds or Manchester). See the map:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/print_maps/NetworkRail_LiverpoolLeedsManchesterSheffieldmap.pdf

If you want hills you are looking at the Hope Valley line but the housing is not in your price range. The other option is Dronfield and Chesterfield if you must commute by train.

But why not live in Sheffield itself, do you have something against it? There are some very green areas with hills that feel like being in the countryside and the money you save on rail tickets you can spend on housing (or other things).

Sheffield doesn't have much of a rail network (compared to Leeds or Manchester). See the map:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/print_maps/NetworkRail_LiverpoolLeedsManchesterSheffieldmap.pdf

If you want hills you are looking at the Hope Valley line but the housing is not in your price range. The other option is Dronfield and Chesterfield if you must commute by train.

But why not live in Sheffield itself, do you have something against it? There are some very green areas with hills that feel like being in the countryside and the money you save on rail tickets you can spend on housing (or other things).

tbh ive never been to sheffield, just always thought it was a big built up city? nothing against sheffield, i was just looking for somewhere with nice countryside, which i didn't think sheffield would have in the middle of it?

what are the green area's in sheffield? that are also friendly areas. (getting the impression most of sheffield is pretty nice and friendly or are their certain chavy areas to avoid)

on a seperate question. where do you go on this site, to change the option about getting emails everytime someone replies to the forum :)

tbh ive never been to sheffield, just always thought it was a big built up city? nothing against sheffield, i was just looking for somewhere with nice countryside, which i didn't think sheffield would have in the middle of it?

what are the green area's in sheffield? that are also friendly areas. (getting the impression most of sheffield is pretty nice and friendly or are their certain chavy areas to avoid)

on a seperate question. where do you go on this site, to change the option about getting emails everytime someone replies to the forum :)

Sheffield is a very hilly city and wherever you are you're never far from the Peak District. The South West side of town has good bus routes to the Peaks which get you there in 30 mins or less. You can walk into the edge of the Peak District from several suburbs.

You should come and have a look round it's a lovely place. It's a big city but doesn't really feel like it!

The Bakewell to Sheffield driving route does not go across many of the really high moors, and is not likely to get cut off in any but the worst winter weathers. (And, even if it does, there is an alternative route via Chesterfield, and by the time the weather is bad enough to close that route, nobody in the country will be able to get out of their front doors so failure to attend work is the least of your problems!)

Some of the villages around Bakewell can get isolated.

Depending on what your timeline for moving is (or whether you have one yet) I'd suggest booking a long weekend into a hotel in or near Sheffield, and driving around a bit. A lot of the outlying parts of Sheffield - Oughtibridge was mentioned, for one - might fit your bill perfectly but you really need to be able to have a look round.

You could also spend a day looking round various places in the Peak District, with particular attention to the local estate agents and how much property is selling for. You may even find somewhere as far afield as Matlock to suit your taste; there is an awful lot of nice countryside round here for you to investigate.

The Bakewell to Sheffield driving route does not go across many of the really high moors, and is not likely to get cut off in any but the worst winter weathers. (And, even if it does, there is an alternative route via Chesterfield, and by the time the weather is bad enough to close that route, nobody in the country will be able to get out of their front doors so failure to attend work is the least of your problems!)

Some of the villages around Bakewell can get isolated.

Depending on what your timeline for moving is (or whether you have one yet) I'd suggest booking a long weekend into a hotel in or near Sheffield, and driving around a bit. A lot of the outlying parts of Sheffield - Oughtibridge was mentioned, for one - might fit your bill perfectly but you really need to be able to have a look round.

You could also spend a day looking round various places in the Peak District, with particular attention to the local estate agents and how much property is selling for. You may even find somewhere as far afield as Matlock to suit your taste; there is an awful lot of nice countryside round here for you to investigate.

yeah I think thats probably the best idea. I was planning on renting for 6 months + first as well, so that will give me time to look around properly. There's no set deadline for moving, but I was thinking towards early next year, so still leaves a little time.

what places would you recomend in/close to sheffield to take a look at that have a bit of country surrounding them?

I've been in Bakewell a few times, out of season its a farm town, and smells of the rear cow output. In the summer its full of tourists and still smells of cow. I suppose farming is an industry.

Getting to the Peak District from Sheffield is very easy, from almost any point in the west of the city its is possible to walk out of the city onto the moors within a reasonable time (otherwise catch the 51 bus to the Lodge Moor terminus).

To wet your appetite, the view from Baslow Edge:

View from Baslow Edge

K.