Violent riots and looting in UK (part 2)

Our country needs to setup boot camps for both the young rioters and the parents that defend/condone/excuse their actions as part of the punishment.

Evicting them or removing their benefits will just make matters worse, where as sending them off to some remote island where they are educated a little on 1)parental skills, 2)common decency with an exam at the end, if they pass the test their allowed to integrate back into society, if they fail, they have to carry on farming for their food, cleaning and disposing of their own waste and basically fending for themselves.

I was in the same area a week before the riots, we used public transport and travelled by bus, train & underground. My perception is certainly different from yours. Although I believe the riots to be a result of basic human greed and nothing to do with race.

Erm - I never said that the riots were a result of race thanks! The original protest - not riot - protest was possibly racially inspired but the subsequent riot in Tottenham and the followon from that was entirely driven by the politics of envy.

Although I believe the riots to be a result of basic human greed

Greed undoubtedly played a part but it would be dangerous to put it down to that exclusively.

A level of dissociation from society at large was at work here and it would be foolish to ignore this. Greed explains someone nicking a handful of mobiles from a phone shop but it doesn't explain randomly setting fire to houses and people's cars in the area where that person lives.

John

I agree with you , the people who initiated these actions definately showed some level of dissociation from society, I heard it described yesterday by one psychologist as sociopathy.

On the greed issue here's an article about one teen gang who went on a looting spree, filling their transit up several times & selling the goods on.

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16048584

On the greed issue here's an article about one teen gang who went on a looting spree, filling their transit up several times & selling the goods on.

Some may see that as a laudable example of entrepreneurship. Maybe they went to the local business and enterprise college?

Queens award for industry maybe? :D

John X

I agree with you , the people who initiated these actions definately showed some level of dissociation from society, I heard it described yesterday by one psychologist as sociopathy.

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16048584

It was interesting to see what they did after they had looted all the easily saleable stuff..

Trashing upmarket clothes boutiques... trashing high end restaurants... but leaving places like Subway untouched, McDonalds untouched....

Politics of envy - they cannot have or afford these places, so they will deny them to others.

I also saw in Ealing a row of torched cars - well mostly torched cars. They left the lowly nissan and Fiats alone and did for the Audi's, Lexus, BMW's, and VW's

So this wouldn't have happened under another government?

It's difficult to say. This was supposed have been sparked by the shooting of Mark Duggan but when Jean Charles de Menezes was shot dead by police under the Labour government, I don't remember such rioting happening. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Jean_Charles_de_Menezes

Maybe the circumstances are slightly different between both shootings but I personally think that this was more a political economical statement hijacked by thugs on the back of the Duggan shooting.

It's difficult to say. This was supposed have been sparked by the shooting of Mark Duggan but when Jean Charles de Menezes was shot dead by police under the Labour government, I don't remember such rioting happening. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Jean_Charles_de_Menezes

Maybe the circumstances are slightly different between both shootings but I personally think that this was more a political economical statement hijacked by thugs on the back of the Duggan shooting.

If you listened to some of the "rioters" on the TV they didn't even know which party was in power..don't think politics came into it at all...just common or garden criminals..

as they are who they are im sure the government will throw money at them.

I don't see though there is a large enough Brazilian populace in London to really protest and then start a riot though. If De Menezes had been a member of the black or asian communities though then I suspect it could have sparked a protest and riot, especially with the utterly cack handed and bungling way it was done.

If you listened to some of the "rioters" on the TV they didn't even know which party was in power..don't think politics came into it at all...just common or garden criminals..

I think politics come into it in as much as we have somehow bred these angry amoral swaggering disaffected violent people. It didn't happen overnight, or from just one cause and the fact they don't even know who's in power is just another sign of their general ignorance.

I'm glad to see justice moving swiftly for once with all night sittings. Swift punishment must follow as this is something simple enough for them to understand.