1960's city centre shops

Originally posted by Jozafeen

I can't believe nobody's mentioned The Sidewalk cafe on Chapel Walk yet!

My mum used to take me in there when I was little and it seemed very exotic with noisy expresso machines and the room downstairs with the big egyptian carvings on the walls.

I can also remember there being some kind of arcade near the Peace Gardens with a cafe on it but haven't a clue where it actually was now. Hope someone can enlighten me on that one!

You may be thinking of the arcade which ran by the Suggs sports shop, between Pinstone Street and Union Street.

The blind man who sold matches and other stuff used to stand on the end of the Arcade.

It would have been just below Specsavers' shop and ran thriugh approximately opposite where Redvers House is now.

PT

Cambridge Arcade they called it. There was Suggs, Barneys and there was a barbers down there too Lew Burgins I think

Does anyone remember Jays think it was were the Grosvenor is now. Remember going there once just before going on holiday because we had not got a portable radio.

Originally posted by Albatross

Cambridge Arcade they called it. There was Suggs, Barneys and there was a barbers down there too Lew Burgins I think

I think Lew Burgins would explain why we went there - my Dad was always a fan of impromptu haircuts!

Originally posted by Albatross

Give that man ten points..

PT

Does anyone remember Loxley Brothers, stationers in Fargate.

There was a shop opposite the Peace Gardens which sold lovely shopping baskets made by the blind.Was it called Remploy?

I remember a shop below Star and Telegraph building called Spiers they sold handbags and purses.

Mags:heyhey:

what about Thorntons toffee and chocolate shops and the Geisha Tearooms?

Saxonne Shoes< Mappin & Webb (jewellers). S & E (Sheffield & Ecclesall) Cooperative and B & C (Brightside & Carbrook) Cooperative. wimpey Bar, Stewart and Stewart Deparment Store (opposite the Town Hall - probably disappeared in the early '60's)

Dixons Record Store (near Castle Market I think)

Rosil,

The mojo was 1964 to 67, buty wqs up burngreave road not the city centre. By 67 the Stringfellows had the Down Broadway club, entrance downstairs thro' a doorway between the Blue Bell pub? and a shoeshop on the High Street just above the 'hole in the road'. I thought in the 60s The Golden Egg was diagonally opposite Cockaynes next the the hole in the road.

Regards

Paul

I remember Noel's, a ladies clothes shop down the Moor. I think it would be where the building society is below Debenham's, on the corner.

Very good shop, my mother bought me an off white coat from there. I felt very grown up in it I was only about 14yrs.

How about Bunny's out towards Shalesmoor, bought socks in bright luminous colours there. Wow, how cool was that

Don't forget Peter Robinsons. They were part of the Burton group and took over the site of that burn't-out wreck of a Burton building at the corner of Angel Street and Market Place ( next to the C&A). Don't know whats there now.

Then there was Hornes (mens outfitters) at the corner of Angel Street and King Street. They were a big outfit from the south but didn't last that long in Sheffield

Field's Restaurant was still on Fargate in the 60s. Do you remember that they had their coffee roasting machine in the window and you often got the smell up and down the street.

Arthur Davy's shop and Mikado Restaurant on Haymarket, opposite the top of Dixon Lane. Davy's also had a another shop on Haymarket at Castle Street.

Those funny little shops on Waingate below the Old Town Hall (later the court house). There was: Friends, the sweet shop; then Hindley's tool shop

and at the bottom, on the corner of Bridge Street, was Philips electrical showroom. Across the street was Stoke's Paints. Stokes had shops at other locations around the city, including Cambridge Street (where the Grovesnor is now)

I think Bert's Tudor Grill was still going on Charles Street at the time.

Last but not least was Cantor's furniture store at the top of Fargate and next door (maybe) was Dean & Dawson, the travel agents.

If you want a list of the business in the Wicker in the 60s, I might be able to oblige.