Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

sandy

Did Fulmere Crescent island exist during the war?

I thought that the area was all farmland pre-1947.

Fulmere definitely didn't exist, but I have certainly heard about the PoW huts.

When the Italians changed sides, there were lots of Italian PoWs who couldn't be repatriated to an occupied country, so they were employed in various ways,one of which was as builders.

They helped out on a lot of the foundation work for The Cross, so it would make sense that they were housed in and around this area

Just think Dex, when me and you were scoring spectacular goals on the Big Island. we were possibly following in the footsteps of the some great Italian footballers!!

Fulmere definitely didn't exist, but I have certainly heard about the PoW huts.

When the Italians changed sides, there were lots of Italian PoWs who couldn't be repatriated to an occupied country, so they were employed in various ways, one of which was as builders.

They helped out on a lot of the foundation work for The Cross, so it would make sense that they were housed in and around this area.

Yes, it was PoWs that laid that part of Wordsworth Avenue (Deerlands to Ecclesfield) in 1947. I saw their inscription made in the wet concrete outside the Wordsworth Tavern, before it was covered in tarmac. PoWs didn't lay all the paving slabs though, as the house builder invited local residents to do that job for a bit of extra cash.

I never knew where the PoWs were housed.

I remember working around the Lindsay Road area just off the bottom end of Deerlands in 1977 and an old chap telling me about the Italian prisoners of war laying all the roads around that area so I wonder if they were the same Pow`s as the ones from the Fulmere Area.

If you take a walk around the junctions of Remington road and around that area youll see a little triangle of concrete in the middle of the road with the POW sign scraped into them.

The other week I drove between Yew Lane and Remington Road for the first time in 30+ years, down Dugdale Drive, and I got a big shock.

I could see across to Wheata/Rokeby and that church - someone's shifted Colley School.

The other week I drove between Yew Lane and Remington Road for the first time in 30+ years, down Dugdale Drive, and I got a big shock.

I could see across to Wheata/Rokeby and that church - someone's shifted Colley School.

I was around there a couple of years ago and stopped at Margetson shops for a few fishcakes and afterwards we had a little drive around, I was showing a couple of friends from Leicester where I grew up and what have you and there was hardly anything left to show!

They hated the fishcakes but both became addicted to Relish after Id finished with them :D

I was around there a couple of years ago and stopped at Margetson shops for a few fishcakes and afterwards we had a little drive around, I was showing a couple of friends from Leicester where I grew up and what have you and there was hardly anything left to show!

:D

My friend who lives on Buchanan says it's like living in the country. Wild flowers and everything!!

do you remember that bloke who sat out side the ritz picture house he sat in a wheel chair he had no legs he sat there for years i lived on Dryden Ave till 1965 then went to livE UP AT BIRLEY MOOR SAW Alan Smith ALOT HE USE TO GO TO SOUTHEY GREEN SCHOOL AS WELL WE LEFT EASTER 1960

i went up parson cross today as they are demolishing malthouses on mansel and it was my mums neighbours house getting ripped so pieces with a cat,my parents moved to ecclesfield 2 months ago and their house is coming down in december,it was really sad to see all our childhood memories turned to rubble,but i suppose that goes for most of the cross,especially deerlands and buchannon,i made a video and put it on youtube as a really sad ending to whats happened to px,i know there is alot of people originally off px who have moed abroad and still use the forum so if anyone goes on youtube and types ,parson cross demolition,, you will see 2 great vids i put on and all the pics i took myself including a great soundtrack, my youtube username is digicam11 if anyone had trouble finding the vids,,whoever looks i hope you enjoy the vids